Racetronix fuel pump install help

cetme1

Hi everyone, been a while since I have been back on the board. I need some advice/help.
I have an 87 GN. I purchased a walbro 340 pump and hot wire kit from racetronix about 6 months ago. While putting the pump in I noticed that the instruction sheet seemed... well... "odd". It was confusing, especially the parts about the bulkhead connectors wiring, and rewiring the red/violet wires to match. It just didn't seem correct. A search showed that people were having problems and that the instructions were inaccurate, but those were old posts. Surely the instructions would have been corrected. Its the weekend so I would prefer to finish up before monday. I have already emailed Racetronix.
Anyone have a link to some pump wiring instructions, preferably with pix? I can only find the hot wire instructions, I really would like to see some 340 pump pix.
Thanks

I, too, had problems installing my Walbro pump, that I orderd only 3 months ago, due to poor instructions. Actually the instructions would have been fine if I was putting the pump in a Mustang because that what the instructions were for. I did purchased my pump from a TB vendor and ended up having to call for clarification on the install and was told "It's pretty self explanatory". Well, actually, they weren't because the vendor told me that the little rectangular plastic piece(don't remember what it's called) on the pump discharge is not required for the Walbro. How was I supposed to know that?! I do recall confusion regarding the wiring that the vendor helped me out with. Sorry, but I can't remember what the confusion was.

The instructions were useless. It's one thing to putz around trying to get something right when you're not sure how to do it. It's an entirely different thing when you're dealing with an install on an important piece like a fuel pump that you spent a couple hours getting to and another hour putting back in(not to mention the fuel you would need to remove again if you do something wrong).

Like I said the little rectangular thing on the pump discharge is not needed. The stock pump is harder to remove than you would think. I can't remember wiring details. The sock is harder to push on than I thought it should(would) be. I ended up not using the "S" shaped fuel hose that came with my kit because it didn't fit for my application.

I'm sorry I don't have any more for you but I do feel your pain and maybe frustration(?). This, again, is one of those times were I wish I had taken pictures.

Thanks anyway Swing op3. I did have a few left over parts too. I really do not want to mess this up. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find the info I need.
I had to use a plastic hammer to tap the filter on, it was tight! And cutting the hose to 3 inches was way too short.
maybe someone else will jump in.

Come to think of it I, too, had parts left over. Some kind of too-small gasket(kit didn't come with the right size gasket for the tank assembly) and a few plastic clip things. Maybe the next guy that puts one in will take pictures of the install.

The manual I got appears to be wrong with respect to wiring location. IE if I wire it like the manual states, then neither the sending unit nor the pump will even get any power! I finally rewired the connector that goes to the bulkhead so at least the wires will be inline correct, purple to purple, and red to grey.
I wont have time to test it til next week. Hope it works.

The manual I got appears to be wrong with respect to wiring location. IE if I wire it like the manual states, then neither the sending unit nor the pump will even get any power! I finally rewired the connector that goes to the bulkhead so at least the wires will be inline correct, purple to purple, and red to grey.
I wont have time to test it til next week. Hope it works.

There are two wiring variations covered in our G77 manual.
If you require further help please use our forum.

Thank you.

Just to be clear. I did not order my Walbro pump from Racetronix. I hope I didn't mislead anybody by my earlier posts.

Our G77 manual is very complete in full color. It does not leave anything out and it is up to date.

x2 :smile:

I installed mine in January using the included instructions.

Read it once, read it as you're doing it, and read it and inspect before you re-assemble it.

If I can do it, ANYONE can...:wink: