Quiet muffler question/opinions?

cwelk87gn

XCELR8S
I am seriously considering taking the Aerochambers off my Gn and replacing them with a quieter muffler, but am not sure what to get. The reason being I can't stand the drone those mufflers make under normal driving situations. What considerations should I make in choosing new mufflers, and how much performance would I lose by ditching the loud ones?

ULTRAFLOWS no drone in the T I rode in last night with them in a 2.5 dual setup

Is there still a cat?....I heard that taking off the cat adds to the drone.

I have Walker Ultraflows, 3 inch size for my exhaust, and no Cat right now.

No drone, and it is MUCH quieter than my old Flowmaster 3 chamber muffs which I thought sounded GREAT at idle but the drone at about 2000 rpm sounded like it was shaking the fillings out of my teeth (the ones I have left, anyway..) Got a good deal on the Walkers at Summit a while back.

If you really want it quiet, just get a stock muffler, put a Cat Convertor on it, etc.. There are some pretty good flowing truck mufflers (they're long, like 19 inches..) that are very, very quiet and flow ok for what they are. They come as big as 3.5 inch pipe. I used to have them on a Big Block Chevy with headers, big cam, etc.. Car sounded stock, as it was supposed to be a sleeper with stock hubcaps, etc.. I can dig up the part #'s if ya like. Also, the old Caddy BIG motors (like 502 ci, etc..) from the 70's came with some monstrous mufflers that flowed pretty well too. You can probably still get them through NAPA, Advance, etc..

Billy

Interesting. I have the Areochambers (2.5 duals) on my car. I had thought they were among the quietest mufflers out there....including the ultra flows. There have been many threads on this. I seem to remember someone claiming their ATR transvers (stock location) muffler was the best option as muffler location had as much to do with drone as the muffler design. This was after much experimentation. If you do end up with ultra flows, please post back as i would love to see if you think there was an improvement.

I've heard of guys putting a muffler where the cat goes in addition to the aerochambers.

I've had Summit $15 turbo mufflers on my car for years. They are very quiet. Quiet at idle. 2.5" hooker catback system with tailpipes.

I had an ATR single shot (3") with no cat on my car. Car has a decent cam in it, no cat on it, headers etc., etc., WOT on the car, loved the sound. Cruising around I got to where I hated the noise.

I took one of our mufflers we have custom built for some exhaust we build for EVO's and decided to do some custom work on the car. I ended up building a new system from the downpipe all the way out the back on the car. I did this for two reasons, one I saved a good 10 pounds of weight using our SS tubing and muffler, the other is the ATR with the rear suspenion work and lowering on the car hit and rattled. It never did with the car stock as a side note.

Anyway, while doing it I put the new muffler where the cat use to be. Figured if it didn't work out I'd pull it and move it.

HOLY ****! The car is so much quieter with the muffler with the muffler where the cat was than when it is closer to the back of the car.

You might want to try moving the muffler you have to that location before you spend a bunch more money on the exhaust system. It will probably be an easy move.

I have now done this on a couple of other cars and have had the exact same results. No other changes were done on the other cars, just took the same muffler and moved it closer to the front where the cats were on those too. HUGE difference in sound levels.

I am actually so happy with the sound level of my Buick and the weight of the system I considered having them bent and selling them. The clearance with the full H&R rear suspension is perfect too, even with the car dropped 1".

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

I took my ultraflows off and replaced them with aerochambers because of the drone I was getting. I found the aerochambers to be much quieter with less drone.

David,
if you don't already have pics, don't bother; I don't want to put you out.

I was mainly concerned about any clearance issues between big 3" exhaust pipes and HR swaybars.

I have a lift in my garage at home. I could shuffle some cars around and put it on it for a picture.

If I remember correclty the clearance issue I had was with the actual heim assembly on mine where it goes up to the frame, not the actual bar, same thing you are having?

Either way, everything clears now and I don't have a single rattle anywhere.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

utra flows louder than aerochambers?

tracer said:
I took my ultraflows off and replaced them with aerochambers because of the drone I was getting. I found the aerochambers to be much quieter with less drone.

What about WOT?

Lets see a pic David!!!! A pic of the exit out the back an a orerall pic under the car where the muffler is an the system as a whole would be sufficient.. What size piping did you go with...??? Anyone willing to make new exhaust systems for theses cars is welcome ecpecially doing something different as you have.. We no longer have ATR so choices are getting limited..

My vote is for the ultraflows. I have no cat, & the car is still pretty quiet. I chose these because of the flow #'s. 1133cfm's compared to the 441cfm of the aero chambers & the 595cfm of the Maximum flow's.
I know alot of guys swear by the aero chambers but it's a "chambered" muffler. It's not a straght through design. We all know that our cars love having no back pressure so why would you get a chambered muffler? :confused: