Quick Spool Turbine Housing Flapper Valve - Need help!

What would be the best Inconel alloy with a good compromise between machinability and weldability?

Don here is a pic of the one sold here locally. How much of a difference do you think this would make. Would there still be a need for NOS?

Attachments

• new.JPG
    new.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,579
Would there still be a need for NOS?

Oh yes. This 91mm is a bear to spool. I'd like to get spool time to 8 lbs boost to close to .9 seconds.
Best to date to 8 psi is 2.3 seconds with a lot of nitrous retard still.

I'm looking at 321 stainless, in rod and sheet to do the shaft and blade. Machinability and weldability are excellent and the heat range looks good for this material. I'm thinking of not using bushings at first to see how it works.
The flange adapter material: simple mild steel
Shaft diameter: 3/8"
Blade thickness: .090"

First step: Remove the flange adapter and add a dividing wall.

Removing the adapter was a piece of cake. Loosen the V-band clamps that hold the center carriage and exhaust pipe to the turbine housing, remove the 4 turbine flange bolts, let the turbo support carry the weight of the turbo, and rotate the turbine housing down out of the way to access the 4 countersunk allen capscrews holding the adapter flange to the T4 flange.

Attachments

• IMGP1803rs.jpg
    IMGP1803rs.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,637
  • IMGP1802rs.jpg
    IMGP1802rs.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,651
The dividing wall is made, and the holes for the shaft are waiting for the final fitting of the shaft.

Attachments

• IMGP1807rs.jpg
    IMGP1807rs.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,570
Can't look up the specs right now but remember that ss will expand more than mild steel as it heats up so keep the shaft loose when cold.

I wonder if you could put a TPS sensor on it somehow (and away from the heat) to log it's opening and closing habits?

don, your crazy. you come up with some cool stuff. i look up to you and what you do. i wish i had the time and skills that you do. keep up the great work

Can't look up the specs right now but remember that ss will expand more than mild steel as it heats up so keep the shaft loose when cold.

Good point. I'll fit the shaft to the adapter and heat the assembly to check the clearance.

I wonder if you could put a TPS sensor on it somehow (and away from the heat) to log it's opening and closing habits?
More than likely I'll use a wastegate actuator to control the unit. I can hook up a regulated pressure source on the bench to check the action of the unit before I install it. I'll make sure to make a video.

The wastegate you see in those pictures I posted is a stock nonadjustable TR wastegate. I'm sure if you got a high boost adjustable unit it would work better.

When you get it together you might see about adding some anti seaze to the shaft when you put it together. It might just burn off but some of it should stay and help the shaft to move.

When you get it together you might see about adding some anti seaze to the shaft when you put it together. It might just burn off but some of it should stay and help the shaft to move.
I'll do that. Good idea.

The wastegate you see in those pictures I posted is a stock nonadjustable TR wastegate. I'm sure if you got a high boost adjustable unit it would work better.
The plan is to have it crack open at 8 to 10 psi. Do you remember what the stock nonadjustable starts to move at?

It's very low boost...something like 5-8psi. You can see how low in the video link I posted above. It might be just right.

Looks like it's opening at 7 to 8 psi. Just might do the trick.:biggrin:

After studying the data logs a little more, it looks like things really perk up at 4500@110 kPa (2.4 psi boost) with the nitrous. I think the stock actuator will be a good place to start.

I'm going to change my valve design a little from the current commercially available valve to hopefully help exhaust flow into the open side of the valve. The wall that matches the splitting wall of the turbine housing will be shorter on the hot side, and the valve will close at an angle that promotes directing flow to the open side. The height of the splitting wall will just match the point that the valve rests against the wall in the closed position. This way the wall will do little to disrupt flow from the closed off side of the adapter to the open side. The entrance edge of the wall will also be chamfered in a manner to promote flow to, and into the open side of the valve.
Closed blade angle relative to the sealing surface of the adapter will be setup at 14 degrees.