Quick question about vac lines?

BIGJOE

hey guys im replacing all the vacuum lines on my GN but ttheres the normal sized ones then theres these little tiny hard plastic ones that run around under the hood can i just replace thoes with normal silicon lines that are bigger? or is there a reason there smaller?

'smaller' lines give a better signal. The reason I put smaller in quotes is because they are big enough to do the job but not so big that delay the information they're mean to signal.

so putting little bigger ones on there to replace the super one thing hard white ones would be a mistake? cause there in pretty bad shape.

Use size as close as possible but it will not make any difference if they are not exact.

Make sure what you use are strong enough under boost. some of the ones I see in the stores are rated at around 14psi or so and I look for the stronger ones, don't want them to fail under boost. I may be overly cautious, the pros here would know best.
Joel

The size is not going to affect your readings at all. 15psi in an 1/8 inch line is the same as 15 psi in a 1/4inch line. If you think that its possible to tell a reading because the boost is building in a vac line...your dead wrong. I replaced all my lines with 1/4 stainless and not a single reading will be affected. Not even the MAP which is the most important. I hashed all this out with Cal Hartline before I did it just to double check. The factory used different size lines depending on where they were hooking into. The vac block still had the same feed source regardless of the line coming off.

wonder why they used different sizes from factory seems like it couldve been easier to use all same size with all vendors all connections
joel

wonder why they used different sizes from factory seems like it couldve been easier to use all same size with all vendors all connections
joel
Well it's easy. Buick does not make any of the components that any of the lines run to. GM bought the sensors from Packard Electric, Robertson Nugent, Leeds of Northrop...etc. These sensors are used in several models of cars. Buick buys sensors that will work in whatever application they need and adapt them to the vehicle. That's why they are different sizes.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Anyone here have a idea where you can buy a complete vac. line kit with the correct size hoses? I've seen a few on ebay and also on a couple TB buick sites that say complete silicon line kits I take it those are not good enough?

Anyone here have a idea where you can buy a complete vac. line kit with the correct size hoses? I've seen a few on ebay and also on a couple TB buick sites that say complete silicon line kits I take it those are not good enough?

The hard lines are available through Kirban's. I do not recall ever seeing the hard plastic lines that some hook into.

Believe you can get a set of silicone lines with all the different diameters from the likes of GBody Parts, Special Additions, etc.

Yup those are the exact lines I was talking about.. wondering if they will be the correct ones and as strong as they should be as far as handling the pressure and stuff of that sort?? Or is there any other ideas or opinions out there?

Yikes, $149. is crazy!!!!!!

This is what I'm talking about!

Special Additions -Black Silicone Vacuum Hoses.jpg

http://www.specialadditions.com/proddetail.asp?prod=VBHosesBlack

Get it from Special Additions.
Barb & Mike Savino are great vendors, good people & easy to deal with .
I've purchased this very black silicone hose set & am very happy with its fit & performance. At $49. it's like 1/3 the cost of the e-bay kit.

I use a short blast of hair spray & then stainless safety tie wire around all of my vacuum connections....never had one blow off yet.

dave

What about the little nipple where the hard boost/vac line ties into the map sensor? Mine is dry rotted and I cannot seem to find them anywhere.

Several vehicles use this style w/reducers etc..... Might try local salvage yard for late model sets or a U-Pull It and select the best? Good Luck