Question on turbo removal?

84_t-type

I have all of the bolts out that I found that are on brackets. I am not sure how you are supposed to get a wrench in to remove the oil return line!? I was searching around and can not find any prior threads that cover this all the way through. Some one said to leave the retun line hooked up and pry the turbo out!? Not comfortable doing this untill I get confamation that this is the proper way. I did not see any thing holding the intake pipe in place and I cannot see where the oil return line gose. Any help would be great all I want to do is pull my injectors!

Thanks

Any pictures to see what exactly you are talking about? ? What year car because I've removed my injectors several times and never had to remove the turbo to do this? I have a 87 GN .

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

This is on an 84 ttype. I can put pics up when I get home but the turbo covers 2 of them and I can't get the fuel rail out.

Oh OK sorry never attempted this on a hot air car. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with ideas or opinions.

I have all of the bolts out that I found that are on brackets. I am not sure how you are supposed to get a wrench in to remove the oil return line!? I was searching around and can not find any prior threads that cover this all the way through. Some one said to leave the retun line hooked up and pry the turbo out!? Not comfortable doing this untill I get confamation that this is the proper way. I did not see any thing holding the intake pipe in place and I cannot see where the oil return line gose. Any help would be great all I want to do is pull my injectors!

Thanks

The oil return drain tube attached to the turbo does not have to be unbolted. Just lift the turbo off the intake manifold and it will come out with the turbo. You may have to pry the turbo on order to get past the suction on the turbo to intake adapter.

Just lift up and pull carefully, getting it to go back in is when you may have a fight

Ok just got home and it came off no problem! Thanks for the confirmation on that. Ok so a few other questions the car has been sitting for like 15 years. I had it running a few years ago had a fuel pump issue and now I am doing a refresh w/ pulling the motor. 1) what if any thing should I do now that the turbo is off? 2) Do I need a new o-ring on the intake? 3) What do I need to look for when inspecting the turbo? 4) when I pull the injectors what do I need to check for and do. I am going to replace the o-rings on them. Someone told me to put WD-40 in the injector ports on the motor? 4) Do I need to do anything to clean the inside of the intake? Basically I want to get it running good before doing any upgrades. Am I forgetting anything engine maintenance wise that I need to do?

Thanks

Read the stickys do your homework and definitely some spring cleaning, anything a local parts store stocks for a GN/Turbo Regal buy it change it the car has been sitting consider most parts are weather beat. The fuel pump is a big help I have a walbro in mine with the hot wire from gbodyparts.com it made a big difference for me and others. Btw my car sat for more than a decade also:cool: Good luck!!!

Look under the hot air section at the top. Also visit gnttype.org and look around. There is a section labeled spring cleaning. When in doubt ask us. We will help. I will gladly give u my number and answer what I can.

i little haeds up on drain tube. carefully unbolt from turbo. dont allow it to change shape. that will make reinstalling it easier.

If you read the "top 3 modifications thread" in the sticky section at the top (always stays there) you will find a picture that Jerryl posted that shows a hole cut in the bracket that supports the turbo on the passenger side- if you cut that hole in there it will make it much easier to put the turbo drain tube back into the grommet!! my .02