Question for you Buick GN guys! Ford Boy!

dirtybird91

Hey guys, I am the one who is undergoing a turbo transplant on my Thunderbird by HP Performance. They will be transforming my car from a supercharged 3.8 to a Turbocharged 3.8. I have invested a hefty wad of cash and my project should be done at the end of May.

My question is "How much does a stock Grand National Weigh"?????
The guy on the link below seems to believe that Grand Nationals had to have NOS to achieve 12 second quarters! Click on this link and read this horse crap!

:rolleyes:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44711

Dirtybird91:cool:

Depending on options, how much gas you have, etc....

The common answer seems to be 3620 lbs. HTH

I was taking a look at it. It was cool, but not as funny as your first post on there about this subject.

I love that guy that says a turbo won't work until 40mph. That was high quality entertainment.

The SC's are nice cars.... but I say sell the SC, take the five grand and buy a GN :D

Hey Shane!

What does it take to get a stock GN into the 12's? Do they have to have NOS??? I am told that they could break the 12 second barrier with less than $1000.00 of mods!:confused:

Dirtybird91

No, in fact NOS on a GN is a rare, rare thing.

$1000 will get a GN into the 12's, easy.

Check out www.gnttype.org -> Technical Info -> Performance Reciepes

Thanks all from me, got to go to work!

I remember about 10-15 years ago reading about people trying NOS, changing rear gears, lopey cams, and the like and they quickly found out it managed to make the car slow.

So what you are reading about the NOS is myth. I haven't seen it in a long time.

BTW, 3600 sounds about right. Once again, it all depends on options.

There's actually a post or two on the board now about putting nitrous on a GN. Will be interesting to see how this install turns out, I know a few guys have done it with varied results. As everyone else said though, NOS on a TR is not at all common. When we spray/inject our cars it tends to be with more boost, alcohol, water, propane, or love. :D

-Jade

Originally posted by JadeMonkeyStang
When we spray/inject our cars it tends to be with more boost, alcohol, water, propane, or love. :D

-Jade

Great... we inject love.. and what do we get back... sprayed with oil leaks?? :) I guess there's something to be said about mutual feelings. :)

Originally posted by progress1vebmx
I have yet to see a GN with nitrous. If I ever do see one, god help me...

I bought my car with 1/2 of a N2O setup installed...Luckily the idiot never figured out how he wanted to mount the bottle or wire the kit so it was never used (yeah I can see it now, it had a VERY aggressive race chip in it, stock fuel system with a crappy boost pump, BOOM!!!!!!!)...Anyway I removed it as soon as I found a new up pipe (nice thing is I have a spair up-pipe anready drilled for alky).

Hey Im the guy most likely with the Juice post up .... there is so few of them . Anyway its on and ive used it about 10 times with the 75 and 100 shots . It works ok i havent really played hard with it yet . Im going to shoot the 150 shot next .:p Hey Car craft went 12.96@108 on a bone stock GN with Nos 125 kit back in the day and 12.31 on a car with 3.90s and 28 inch tall slicks . Its worth screwing with . Dont kid yourself theres plenty of blown up GN motors from other stuff . I know Guys who have blown up more than their share of stuff . If it gonna break its gonna break , so take off the skirt ;) P.S im driving to St . Louis to show you mine , so call God for help NOW!:D

Originally posted by galoush
Hey Im the guy most likely with the Juice post up .... there is so few of them . Anyway its on and ive used it about 10 times with the 75 and 100 shots . It works ok i havent really played hard with it yet . Im going to shoot the 150 shot next .:p Hey Car craft went 12.96@108 on a bone stock GN with Nos 125 kit back in the day and 12.31 on a car with 3.90s and 28 inch tall slicks . Its worth screwing with . Dont kid yourself theres plenty of blown up GN motors from other stuff . I know Guys who have blown up more than their share of stuff . If it gonna break its gonna break , so take off the skirt ;) P.S im driving to St . Louis to show you mine , so call God for help NOW!:D

12.96 on a 125 shot (I certainly wouldn't have been stupid enough to admit to a 12.9anything with a Nos shot) :eek: OMG!!! MY bone stock 87 went 12.98 with NOTHING!!!! Just a race chip/gas, and DR's!

** Did it ever run a 1/4

Wondering if the SC Turbo conversion got done and if it ever ran the quarter? That post over on SC page was some fun reading.

You ever want to hit someone with a virtual bat?

Yeah, and since our cars are Sooo unrelieable . That's why I just completed including a dyno run, the 4,000+ miles to, on, and back from the Hot Rod Power Tour without even opening my tool box.

About the project.

The "SC Turbo" conversion has been delayed and should wind up being done at the end of July.
Wish me luck guys!:)

Frank

OK dave i see your point but what gas did you run for your bone stock pass? , how much boost . the filter was stock too ? And what did the car trap at . The point being is you can run fast with the Nitrous if the car trapped @108 it was good for a low 12 on slicks w 3.90s and slicks it trapped @111 on pump gas with a stock chip . This article was from back when the cars first came out .

Originally posted by gn85
I remember about 10-15 years ago reading about people trying NOS, changing rear gears, lopey cams, and the like and they quickly found out it managed to make the car slow.
I remember this phenomenon as well. In my opinion the street racers at the time tried to apply the ole' tried and true methods on the new and unusual turbo V-6. That being cams, rear gears and methods that worked with non force fed V-8s. Many times their efforts backfired with much slower times. It took a while for GN fanatics and aftermarket vendors to figure out a whole "package" that found the potential of the LC2. I believe your Ford friends aren't familiar whatsoever with the LC2 and the simple combination of mods that'll get enormous power of the Buick engine.

I remember years ago the wasted $ and frustration new GN owners experienced because the proper combination of mods weren't discovered. As time went by and more information was had about the theory of these engines the frustration waned and combo packages were offered resulting in the finely tuned power recipes you'll see on gnttype.org. You can easily obtain mid-low 12's with $1,000. Even easier with a TTA!