Question for those w/3" true duals about clearances...

John B

I'm trying to line up my DynoMax 3" side in/out Super Turbo's and it seems that either due to the tailpipe configuration (Torq Tech 3" GN/TR exit) that the muffler clearance to the floorboard is only about 1/4" at the rear! This seems way to tight without letting the front of the mufflers hang down about an additional 1" which seems unreasonable due to ground clearance issues with such a large muffler (5-1/2"T x 11"W x 16"L).

So.....what has everyone done:
  • for adequate clearance here
  • what hangers did you use
  • and do the mufflers hit the floorboard or road at all on bumps or when the motor is torquing?
Thanks!

I have Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers on my TorqueTech 3" system. It's definitely tight, but they don't hit anything underneath the car. I used the brackets that TT sent which are essentially small "L" brackets that go from the clamp at the back of the muffler to the section of "frame" that runs across the car above the axle. They have the mufflers tucked up very tight. Mine were actually too low - struck a manhole cover with one of them that really put a hurtin' on it. I took it to Meineke where they put the car on the lift, loosened everything up, let the car drop down so that the exhaust system was resting on a trans jack, and tightened everything up. It's been fine ever since.

I know it's too late for you now, but next time I'm going with a stock location 3" crossflow system with the stock exit 3" pipes. A lot less hassle, although much louder I think.

Jim