question about exhaust replacment

BIGJOE

so ive noticed my exhaust headers are getting old and have cracks on both driver and passenger side, so just gonna buy a new pair. so are these a pain to get off? and if so is there any tricks? and any recommendations on replacements? :) greatly aprreciated

Driver side not a problem, passenger side is more of a pain. What mods?

If the turbo has never been off, that can be challenging.

Ive heard from multiple shops that its a waste to get them welded itll just weaken them and thell rebreak

You are very fortunate to have access to "multiple shops" that are knowledgeable and experienced in turbo Regals?

Many of us have been very successful in repairing and welding stock headers that last a long time, but the process must be done properly.

If the headers have a ton of rust and many cracks, they may then be ready for the trash pile?

Many 9 sec. GN's are running stock headers.

TA Performance has a nice set of stock replacement headers http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_V2009

If you got access to a GOOD welder repairs can be made to last a while, but, it will have a tendency to crack at the weld line (or somewhere else) over time. If you can afford it get the TA headers and be done with it. It will pay for itself in the long run.

ooooooooh them are a little more on the exspensive side ive been seeing them mostly for sale between the 200-400 range, but thank you very much for the link.

Yes, they are spendy indeed! But for good reason. Stay away from the ebay junk. lol.

ooooooooh them are a little more on the exspensive side ive been seeing them mostly for sale between the 200-400 range, but thank you very much for the link.

take them to a professional welder / fabricator that does headers ... he will add a gusset in the typical cracked / stressed areas . If the repair is done correctly .. it will be another 20 years before you have to take them off.

If you want quality you have to pay for it .. headers are no different ... the cheap $2-300 headers you see may look nice ... but they fall apart in no time .. you cant SKIMP on headers or fuel parts for these cars ... its what makes them what they are .. $1000 for good quality headers is not at all out of line .. ( it will be the last set of headers you put on the car)

For any 11.0 car on up .. the stockers re-enforced will hold just fine .. done many sets and no issues at all , just that the repair has to be done correctly ( NO MIG throw some wire on it fixes).

Also my suggestion is if you are already going to take off the stockers and have them redone .. now is the time to clean up all the flaws with them to remove all the flow restrictions , doesn't take long and it does make a slight difference.

Usually the metal becomes brittle over the years with all the heat... I'd save and get the TAs... Spray all the bolts with PB Blaster days before trying to get them off... Oh, and I took off the front wheel when I did mine for better access to the bolts.

If your buying the Chinese junk on evilbay you'll regret it. Find some used Poston's or used ATR's or spend the $$ for the ones from TA. Don't forget you were for warned.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Nothing really wrong with stock headers. Adding an inconel bellows in the cross over pipe will help reduce cracks significantly. Second choice would be stainless stock replacement TA headers.

well from what i understand i had someone take a look at them, and they told me they were aftermarket, i just dont know what they are, so i might have to do a little more inspection to see if there worth welding or just checking out some from the link, thanks again for all the help

Post a good picture and we'll be able to tell if they are stock or not.