Question about blocks

slay

I was reading a document about different castings of GM blocks from the 80's. Maybe this is known info but I wasn't aware. According to this doc...

http://www.enginepartswarehouse.com/enginecatalog/GENERALMOTORS.PDF

the Buick, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile all had 25526109 castings from 84 to 87. Does this also mean that casting of block from any manufacturer is the same as an 86-87 GN block? Would this also mean they are all turbo blocks? I understood them to have a higher silicon content to handle higher temps. If this is a well known bit of info I apologize for cluttering this space.

The blocks weren't specific to different engine codes of the same displacement. They don't have higher silicon. Silicon is added to aluminum alloy to raise heat resistance and minimize expansion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time I've ever heard of added silicon in our blocks. Normally it's claimed it's high nickel.

Someone told me that a long time ago when I first got a GN and was learning about them. I had wanted to know if there was a difference in a turbo block or a regular block.

Last edited:
Which is also a crock of shit..........

Exactly true, we went through all this BS is the 90's on the GNTTYPE forum, and person there who worked for a metallurgy firm confirmed with testing that most all the GM blocks, hi-po or not, were "high nickel" as they went with light weight block castings.

the edx on gnttype looks like both NA and turbo are exactly the same makeup. Never saw that before.

The "109" block is the same block casting used in 1986-1987 to make both VIN code A (RPO LD5) and VIN code 7 (RPO LC2) 3.8 engines.

The only difference between the NA block and the turbo block is the hole drilled and tapped for the turbo drain. If you can find one from a non-turbo Regal, Cutlass or a Grand Prix, they are great blocks to grab and use for a build. The NA engines barely made enough power to hurt themselves!!! The connecting rods and heads are also the same as the turbo version.

The "109" block is the same block casting used in 1986-1987 to make both VIN code A (RPO LD5) and VIN code 7 (RPO LC2) 3.8 engines.

The only difference between the NA block and the turbo block is the hole drilled and tapped for the turbo drain. If you can find one from a non-turbo Regal, Cutlass or a Grand Prix, they are great blocks to grab and use for a build. The NA engines barely made enough power to hurt themselves!!! The connecting rods and heads are also the same as the turbo version.

That's what I am trying to do. Have a 65 Nova I am working on restoring with my son. Had a straight 6 in it so am looking for one of these to put in. Won't have to be too powerful as it will be his driver when we are done. Then later if he gets interested maybe we can mod it and stuff like that. Just an idea right now really. Also considering the crate engine route.

no... I meant crate engine like a chevy 350 or something from summit rather than the 3.8.

Oh. Well in that case you'll also need a crate transmission, a custom driveshaft and some severe wiring mods. Also most likely the 3.42's wont work well with your new combo...

not to mention the severe depreciation of your formally cool GN that's now much slower.

I love it when people hijack threads and feel they didn't get their money's worth with advice that was free.

Had a straight 6 in it so am looking for one of these to put in.

Excuse me for thinking that pronoun meant a 3.8 since this thread started about 3.8 blocks.