Quality radiator needed, stock or aluminum is best?

#1HotRod

'87 GN with air; want/need quality radiator.
Local shop has replacements little over $100, but don't want stuck with something doesn't fit right &/or poor quality. Are there aluminum ones that are more efficent than stock? In a way think I prefer original-appearing one for originality & keep the smog guys from poking around too much.
Experiences out there, & what type best & where to obtain it?
Thanks folks...
OOps! Where does one get the trim ring that fits around the horn button?
Also the narrow weatherstrip on outside of door that seals against the window. Both items are dealership discontinued.
Thanks again.

Nick Micale

Has some nice bigger core radiators or you can do like a lot people and get an f-body aluminum radiator..Nick's radiator will be just like stock but the f-body radiator has no oil cooler so you can eliminate the oil cooler all together or get an external oil cooler...i like Nick's radiator because it is a drop in and go installation...Bob

I used the F-body rad and it works awesome... I did go with an external oil cooler and it works very well. My temps never go over 180 and usually stay right at 170 most of the time. I live in Tampa and use the a/c as well. I should mention that I do have the ramchargers dual fans and a 160 stat. TBF

The above radiator is quite a bit of money. I think my F-body rad was $115 from autozone. Why would anybody spend that kind of money when there is a much cheaper solution to the problem???
My B+M supercooler was $59.00 from summit and 2 hoses to connect it all was $30. If you have a front mount intercooler the above radiator may be for you. But for about $200, I found a great way to keep my GN cool in the hot Florida sun. TBF

Just beware,If you blow a headgasket bad and it pressurizes the coolant system teh camaro rad with the plastic tanks can blow apart and dump coolant under your car. I have ssen this happen,although luck enough the car was on the dyno when it blew

Thanks guys...having other's input makes it much easier.
HAY SUPER6, HOW TO GET IN CONTACT WITH NICK'S RADIATOR?

[BTW, love this site, saved me more than once,
should invite all members to a BBQ/Beer party...
at Steve Hurst's place :) ]

Originally posted by #1HotRod
'87 GN with air; want/need quality radiator.
Local shop has replacements little over $100, but don't want stuck with something doesn't fit right &/or poor quality. Are there aluminum ones that are more efficent than stock? In a way think I prefer original-appearing one for originality & keep the smog guys from poking around too much.

I really doubt the people your dealing with have a replacement radiator for an 87 TR for a little over $100. What they are probably offering you is an NA six cylinder Regal unit with no oil cooler. If you want an original type, check with Nick Micale.

Reply to ''#1Hotrod''...

I'm using a BeCool aluminium radiator that has an engine oil cooler as well as a transmission cooler. It fits great and I noticed a difference of AT LEAST 25 degrees cooler temps. :eek:

As for the horn ring, Kirban sells a metal stock grey replacement, and RJC has a polished aluminium one too...
(I have the one from RJC on my car...I have pictures of it available...just let me know...)

'bye!

Claude :)

I run the F-body radiator from autozone. $120 and $80 for the dual fan assembly from RC. Temps never go over 170 and usually fluctuate between 162-170. This is with our front mount intercooler AND a/c. I let the car idle for 45 minutes one time and the temps never went over 170. For the money you cannot beat this unit. Yeah it doesn't have an oil cooler but that was over kill from the factory anyways and it also has a trans cooler if needbe. BUT if you are smart, you will run a standalone cooler with a small fan on it. That's just what I've done...The B+M super cooler from Jegs works perfect.

Appreciate all the help & multiple replies guys, wish I could solve
most of my problems this way!
I decided want to stay with orig style radiator & amazing how difficult it is getting proper fittings, 3 row, etc. (unobtainable without info from this site). I found quickest/cheapest way is to use original tanks with a new/exact core.
The window to door molding not dealership avail anymore, but new ones avail thru GBodyParts & Poston. Looks like will take a trip(s) to Pick A Part for the horn ring.
Will be cool-driving again soon. :D
Wish 'could make it to Fontana.

Be careful, some of the replacement Modine and GDI cores don't have the same tube count as the original Harrison. My recommendation is to go with Nick's core or another 3-row hi-efficiency like the GDI 3VX.