pypes vs. magnaflow????

gordsgn

i need to replace the mufflers on my '86 gn and i am thinking either magnaflows or pypes (violator or race pro, is one better/louder/more abnoxious). any thoughts? i like the sound of both (maybe the pypes a little better)but i am looking for some input. is there any performance advantage to either muffler? this will be my first new set for the car and i dont really know much about either one.

thanks

The Violators will be the loudest. I am not sure how loud they would be in cabin, but both the magnaflows and race pros are quiet in the cabin.

I got the Pypes full race system. Not loud by any means. I think the violater mufflers are chambered like Flowmasters though.

I got the Pypes full race system. Not loud by any means. I think the violater mufflers are chambered like Flowmasters though.

I thought the same thing from the description. Now they have cut away pictures of them. They are the same straight through design as the race pros, just with a slotted tube, rather than a perforated tube.

I got the Pypes catback with the race pro mufflers. I'm very happy with the whole system. It was an easy fit and mostly quiet and not much drone at all. I had a choked up stock exhaust and stock elbow from the turbo and cats on it before. After I was done, it was like bolting on 100hp. I installed my THDP, Test Pipe and Pypes exhaust and it was an amazing difference. Now with my Precision 62/62 turbo, I'm having trouble getting my boost under 22lbs. I'm just being careful until I get my alky after Christmas. I found a directions and parts list for building the alchol injection kit online for about $100- $150 as opposed to $500 that they are going for. I just got to find time to go find all the parts I need. Just my $.02 Good luck with your choice. I think whichever one you get you'll be happy with it.

Now with my Precision 62/62 turbo, I'm having trouble getting my boost under 22lbs. I'm just being careful until I get my alky after Christmas. I found a directions and parts list for building the alchol injection kit online for about $100- $150 as opposed to $500 that they are going for. I just got to find time to go find all the parts I need.

Over boost issues and a DYI alky kit....Be Very Careful...:eek:

Over boost issues and a DYI alky kit....Be Very Careful...:eek:

Yeah, I'm making it pretty much idiot proof. I watch gauges sometimes better than the road. It's basically the same kits you buy complete but I'm just buying the parts cheaper from different suppliers.

I have a SS 3" THDP, 3" cut out no cat, SS 2.5 Pypes and race mufflers. I like it pretty well especially the price. Not very loud at all but I imagine that as the packing in the mufflers burn out it will get louder over time. Virtually no drone like some other systems also.

I have a SS 3" THDP, 3" cut out no cat, SS 2.5 Pypes and race mufflers. I like it pretty well especially the price. Not very loud at all but I imagine that as the packing in the mufflers burn out it will get louder over time. Virtually no drone like some other systems also.

To me theirs no difference between the pypes and the hookers exhuast system when it come to how loud it sounds.
If you look at post #3 you can hear MR jasjamz car taking off:biggrin:And yes i was the one behind the camera.

Thanks for the repies back i think imma go with the Pypes catback with the race pro mufflers because i checked out videos and they dont sound raspy and THE MAIN REASON IS THAT THEY DONT SEEM LIKE THEY'D DRONE! :)

To me theirs no difference between the pypes and the hookers exhuast system when it come to how loud it sounds.

Have to disagree on that. The Hooker has a mild drone while the Pypes don't. The Hooker system is a touch louder & I like that, but the biggest draw back on the Hooker is it's not stainless and will end up rusting out a lot faster. Oh...and forget customer service and replace sections from Hooker, been down that road with no luck.

Thanks for the repies back i think imma go with the Pypes catback with the race pro mufflers because i checked out videos and they dont sound raspy and THE MAIN REASON IS THAT THEY DONT SEEM LIKE THEY'D DRONE! :)

I think you'll be very happy with the Pypes I know I am. Wise choice in my book.

I also have the Pypes setup on my car. I love the way it sounds. It has a nice growl at low RPMs, but will get loud when you step on the go-pedal.

do you have the race pro mufflers or the street pro,because im looking to not be obnoxiously loud in the neighborhood..im looking for that deep rumble that the neighbors wont be up my ass about...Thanks

do you have the race pro mufflers or the street pro,because im looking to not be obnoxiously loud in the neighborhood..im looking for that deep rumble that the neighbors wont be up my ass about...Thanks

I've got the racepro and they're not really loud at all in my opinion.