push rod questions and other stuff

87gnNV

1. Ok my engine is knocking. I removed the intake manfold. The push rods were not bent BUT one of them would spin very easily and it would keep spinning. Most of them had play especially the one that would spin a lot.

2. On the engine block were the push rods come out the silver things that the push rods come out of, three of them were about 1/4 out. The rest were flush. Now is all of this normal?

3. In the up pipe there was oil is this normal?

4. When i removed the the air filter i shecked the turbo. It had no play but it did not spin freely. It would spin but with a little resistance.

Thanks

Before you make a mess, bring it to someone who knows something! Really, I'm not kidding. Do your self a favor! You'll be sooooooorry!

A mess? Come on what could go wrong? :D The only thing i have done is removed the intake. Has any thing happend to u? Hey if u could tell me what not to do (besides the "You'll be soooooorry") now that would be great. thanks.

Put the intake back on, drive to a "mechanic" and let them figure out why it ticks/knocks whatever. What could go wrong, well let see, You could put it back together and piss oil/water into and out of the engine, you could have vaccum leaks (a nightmare all buy itself) If you don't know what the "thingys" are the pushrod go into, you have no buisness having the intake off. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, really dude. Do you always jump before you look?

I can not drive it. It's knocking real bad and loud. So i was hoping on just a bent rod. I guess i could have checked the oil for metal but i will get in to that on monday.

If it's that BAD, you probably spun a rod bearing! Good luck dude, I hope everything works out for you.

hum. A rod bearing? please tell me more.

p.s. IF i could put the intake back on i would :eek: . j/k

WRT 3 & 4

Oil in the up pipe is not uncommon. The stock turbo setup is notorious for sucking oil in through the breather and coating the insides of the intercooler, up pipe, etc.

Your turbo sounds OK. It should have minimal play, be easy to turn by hand but will not spin freely.

#2 I assume that the silver things are the tops of the lifters. Yes some of them should be higher than others because the cam is pushing them up. If you rotate the engine you should observe all of the lifters rising and falling as the cam rotates.

#1 On your loose push rod does the lifter travel up as much as the others when you rotate the engine? If not you probably have a cam lobe that has gone flat.

There could be about a million things that would cause a loud knock, some of them are not even in the engine. Good Luck!