Pump Pressure Regulator Operation

Darrell1987SS

(If someone had a link to the 200-4r OIL circuit that would make this more understandable to those less familiar)

In trying to determine what the pressures I was seeing meant, I wanted to understant how the Pressure Regulator (PR) worked and was controlled, but I found mostly bits and pieces here, so this is my attempt to explain it and hopefully those that are more familar will give it a thumbs up or down (please correct me) and add additional info!

First, the Regulator Componenents and basic function:

Pressure Regulator Valve (PR valve) - Controls oil to the pump slide (through oil pressure acting on the slide) which ultimatly changes the pressure through changes in the flow rate.

Spring - Sets the base line pressure in the absensence of pressure signals to the boost/ rev boost valves by putting force on the PR valve

Reverse/(D1,D2) Boost Valve - applies additional force to the regulator valve (to increase line pressure) based on "Reverse" and "Drive 2" pressure signals

Main Boost Valve - Applies additional force (by pushing on the Reverse valve which pushed on ther PR valve) based on the "Modulated T.V." pressure signal and "Drive 2" pressure signal.

Reverse Boost, Main Valve Sleeves - provide the cylinders for valve travel and also act as a spacer between the retaining clip and spring for spring preload.

Pressures Signals that effect line pressure:

Modulated TV ( ? min - 90 psi max) - dependent on throttle valve position and acts on the lower side of Main Boost Valve (side away from both Reverse Boost valve and PR valve), present ( ? to 90 PSI) in all ranges Part through D1

"Drive 2" (at line pressure) - Sent from Manual Valve (where shift linkage connects) only when in D1 or D2. Acts on the top side of Main Boost Valve (side closest to Reverse Valve) and bottom of Revers Valve.

"Reverse" (at line pressure) - Sent from Manual Valve only in R. Acts on middle lip of Reverse Boost Valve.

Order of Valves and feeds:

PR Valve - Rev Boost Valve Middle Lip - Reverse feed - Rev Boost Valve End - Drive 2 feed - Main Boost Valve - Mod. TV feed

Regulator Operation for Each Range:

P,N, D3, D4:

Regulated line pressure is determined only by the base spring pressure and the additional PR valve force from the boost valve which is dependent on the Modulated TV boost pressure pushing (which depends on throttle position). So for the same Modulated TV pressure signal, a larger Main boost piston will push harder on the PR valve (indirectly through the Reverse Valve) and raise pressures anytime Modulated TV pressure is not 0.

R:

Pressure from the Reverse signal pushes the Reverse boost valve and against the PR valve to increase pressure over the base spring pressure (increase is dependent on the area of the middle valve lip). Pressure from the Mod. TV signal can add additional pressure so that the line pressure in R will depend on the throttle valve position (max pressure might be limited by pressure relief valve, I'm not sure what value it is).

D1 and D2:

Full line pressure from the "Drive 2" signal pushes on the top of the Main Boost Valve forcing it into the no boost position since the line pressure is always greater than or equal to the Max Modulated TV pressure which is trying to push the Main boost valve toward the PR Valve (so no TV response). Full line pressure from the "Drive 2" Signal also pushes the Reverse Boost valve to apply additional force (over the base spring force) on the PR valve to increase line pressure. Since the Main boost valve is not involved in the D1,D2 Boost, a larger Main boost valve will not increase the line pressure when in the D1 and D2 range. A Reverse Valve with a larger end will increase the pressure or a stiffer spring will increase all the baseline pressures including those in the D1 and D2 range.

The thing that suprised me was that the Main Boost valve had no effect on things in D1 and D2. So you could have lower line pressures (depending on PR mods) shifting manually in D1 and D2 than auto at WOT in D3 and D4.

Please post whether my understanding is right or wrong, since bad info is worse than no info.

Thanks