Pulling my hair out...PLEASE HELP!

V8Killer

GM speed junkie
Ok, here goes. My TTA has had on ongoing hard start/no start problem, and seems to be getting worse, especially after a heat soak. This is what I've done so far:
1) Swapped battery & altenator with known good ones (no codes ever present)
2) Checked fuel press with 2 different guages, prime ok
3) Swapped ECM, prom, ign. module, coil. Wires & plugs are new.
4) Checked battery cables & cleaned grounds on back intake studs & firewall, replaced starter w/ mini high torque starter
5) Checked spark w/ spark tester-ok, checked inj. pulse w/ noid light while problem happening, found light pulsing but very weak, and the longer cranked the dimmer the light???
There is probably lots of other stuff I've checked but can't remember now (my brain is fried). The car has 39K miles, and has now signs of a salvage or major accident. Car has 36lbs inj's (problem was happening w/stk. inj's too)...also swapped MAF sensor & verified TPS setting & voltages.
Any ideas, or has someone had this problem before??

? on starting

What exactly is your car doing. Is it cranking and not starting or is the starter not engaging when you turn the key?:confused:

had similar problems with mine. by-passed soleniod on the starter and installed remote soleniod, upgraded ALL ground wiresto heavier gauge wire and wire from battery to alternator. i've currently got my battery in the trunk and haven't had any troubles in the past year.

Battery voltage being low can cuase some chips to not let car start. Make sure the car cranks fast.

Loose harmonic balancer will also do this.(crank sensor not pulsing)

Bad cam sensor, bad fuel pump not getting pressure, bad crank sensor as well.

Verify fuel pressure, and injector pulse using a noid lite.. number one is the injector to test.

HTH

Originally posted by Razor
Battery voltage being low can cuase some chips to not let car start. Make sure the car cranks fast.

Loose harmonic balancer will also do this.(crank sensor not pulsing)

Bad cam sensor, bad fuel pump not getting pressure, bad crank sensor as well.

Verify fuel pressure, and injector pulse using a noid lite.. number one is the injector to test.

HTH
Checked to make sure balancer was tight 1 mo. ago when I had intercooler out to clean it.

Already checked fuel pump prime & pressure (have mechanical gauge on rail & electric in car)

Found when problem occurs noid light flashes very dim, but is always flashing.

Tonight checked voltage drop @ engine-only .3 volts, checked resistance of ECM grounds from ECM to gound eyelet-.1 ohms on all 5 wires, & verified 12 volts @ injectors.

I recieved that Casper's cam module tool. If you want, swing by on your way home from work and try it out.

Check for 12 going to ing module/coil. Low voltage may be causing weak spark when hot.

Just a thought.

............ok another update
The car doesn't EVER lose spark & will start if a fuel source is delivered (i.e. carb cleaner etc.) & once it starts it will stay running. Guess that rules out a pwr/ground problem to the module??

So your #1 injector is not firing. That means its a cam sensor or fuel pressure is way too high. Could also be crank sensor.

thats it :)

Hi about your cranking problem

When my car had starting problems, i just lived with for a while
then when had my fuel pump upgraded they had found the fuel line rotted out and they fixed it. Also i had my injectors repaced at the same time the car had10300 miles and they where stock injectors.
car starts up great now.

hard/no start

You haven't replied on this issue in a while, have you found an answer,V8? Are you sure that you don't have a dribbling injector, or some such silly thing? I admit it sounds like the cam sensor is a likely culprit. Please update.

Re: hard/no start

Originally posted by 83ttypecooled
You haven't replied on this issue in a while, have you found an answer,V8? Are you sure that you don't have a dribbling injector, or some such silly thing? I admit it sounds like the cam sensor is a likely culprit. Please update.
I don't believe it's an injector problem, because it did this intermittenly with the stk. injectors too.
I'm not convinced it's a cam sensor because, with a noid light on, it flashes bright initially, but gets dimmer the longer you crank??
I did find a fubar female terminal @ the injector harness connector (I think it was terminal G-tan wire) but this is a ground (pulsed by ECM injector driver). I also have gotten a hotwired injector harness from Casper's too see if this makes any difference.

intermittent no start

I have another possibility here. Have you checked tps voltage while this is occuring? If the voltage is high, it could be that the ecm is going into flood mode, and a/f ratio will be drastically leaned as a result(I think it goes to 45:1 or so). I assume you have scanner capability, the only easy way to monitor this. I have no other ideas at this point. Too bad you're on the other side of the continent, because online diagnosis is never as good as hands on. I'll keep thinking up ideas if you will update us periodically. Good luck!
Dale

Verified T.P. w/Scanmaster and Tech 1, never over .46. Swapped cam sensor with known good from my GN......still the same. It's almost back together and I'll see if the new hotwired inj. harness makes any difference.

It's a beautiful day out there! Get it done:D

try swapping to a good ecm. Could be experiencing failure. The ecm in mine was on it's way out and sounds eerily familiar to your sit.