Pulling car(no engine) on car trailer??

ghall

I was wondering if anyone has ever put an eyebolt through the front bumper to the support behind it to be able to winch a Regal w/out an engine on a car trailer ?
I have seen this done on a ton of racecars, just haven't seen a GN done before.
Is the support behind the bumper strong enough to pull a car on a trailer, would extra steel plates in front of and behind the support strengthen it enough.
My car is at a friends shop so i can't look at right now, but it will be on and off the trailer multiple times in the next few months and i am trying to come up with a simple yet safe way to do it.
I can't go under the car because of intercooler piping and tranny cooler.

Any thoughts,
Thanks
Geoff

ive done just take grill out of header panel, use a tow strap. car is light enough get two people and get trailer at a low spot and roll it up on trailer i did it two weeks ago.

just wrap a decent sized ratchet strap around one of the bumper shocks and use that as a pulling point.. it will be plenty strong to slowly move a car without an engine onto a trailer.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I am really looking for a permanent solution to making this easy. I have seen MANY other cars with an eyebolt threaded in the front end and it just makes things simple.
I have a nice winch mated to my trailer, and i would love to be able to pop the front lisc. plate and thread an eyebolt in and go---i dont want to worry about pushing it or finding the right incline.
If anyone has threaded an eyebolt through the front bumper--i would LOVE to hear/see it.

Thanks,

Geoff

P.S.-- i am a PRO at getting it on the trailer the hard way, looking for the easy/safe way

I have an open trailer. We brainstormed and looked at other guys setups. I finally decided to use a mounting plate for a winch that goes into a 2" reciever. We welded a stand off and a reciever on the tongue. The winch can be used on the trailer or a PU. Put some quick disconects on a jumper cable set. to power the winch. I got a professional tow yoke from www.truckntow.com with a big J hook, T bolt and a big ring to hook the cable to. The J hook and T bolt can hooked on any thing from suspension to slots in the frame. I'll post a picture when I get a chance. Years ago someone had made a eyelet that was welded onto a bar that had a Tbolt on it so you could mount it easily to the front frame slot and it hung down far enough to clear the air dam. You could just hook a tow stap to it to pull the car around in the pits, etc and just pop it off when your done. That would be cool project to make.

Here's a pic of the reciever.
IMG_0426.jpg

ive winched many dead regals onto car trailer using a 100olb hand crank boat winch with just a hook centered and hooked under the steel bumper by the plate
full weight cars , no problem as long as the tires have air and they roll

I have decided on what to do, i will post pics after i get it completed. Might not be what everyone would, but it will great in my case.

Not sure this will help,, I welded a hitch on the front of my truck and put a ball on it. I also have a winch on the front of truck. I unhook from trailer, re attach to front of truck and winch vehicle onto trailer. Spin around and hook back to trailer and go.

I'll update the thread. I really wanted to do the eyebolt thing threw the front bumper. So my friend and i did it today.
I cut a 2x6" -----1/4" thick stainless and got the proper size stainless nut to be welded on the plate to the back of the bumper.
Pulled the front bumper off and drilled the proper size hole all the way through the bumper and then sanded back of bumper to prep it for weld. In the pics below i will show unpainted and then painted. I don't know why it looks gray, it is actually black and it really looks nice
eyeboltbuick.jpg

eyebolt2buick.jpg

eyebolt3buick.jpg

eyebolt3buick.jpg

eyebolt4buick.jpg

This is what it looks like all back together, when the eyebolt is not in use, i just bolt my "Buick Grand National" front tag back on
eyebolt5buick.jpg

good solution, but it would be a little more complicated for those of us with aluminum bumper supports.