Puddle of Oil on Manifold. Need Advice.

jefffoxsr

There is a large puddle of oil on the rear of the manifold.
There is some oil on the first 2 inches of the line coming out of the vacuum block that leads to the pcv check valve.

How and why could this have happened?

PCV valve is sucking it up there most likely. Time for a replacement or your check valve isn't working correctly.

I was also thinking of the pcv check valve. I ordered a new one today. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how a puddle of oil could get on the manifold. The pcv seems to be secure in it's spot. I haven't had anything like this happen before.

Thanks for the help.

My car was doing the same thing when I bought it so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just sucks b/c on hard launches it will run down the back of the block and make you think you have a rear main leak or something..

Might be a loose/hardened/cracked PCV grommet too - they are still available from GM - replace it while you're in there. Not an easy job, but what is on these TR's? ;)

Update. I cleaned the oil off and replaced the pcv valve and pcv check valve with new ones. I went out for a short ride and came home to a puddle on the back of the manifold again. My intake gaskets are aftermarket, without the valley pan.

I don't see how oil can be sucked up and then puddle on the manifold. It's not coming from the valve covers or anywhere else.

The throttle body and plenum are clean. No sign of oil getting that far.

is it wicking up past the intake bolts?
sometimes you have to put teflon sealer on the intake bolts to seal them up- but i don't know it the Buick engine needs that done or not.