Problem: car dies when put in drive, Solution: new coil pack & module

Berman

Extremely weird, huh? I was driving back from lunch the other day when suddenly pop, my car shuts off. wtf? I coast to the side of the road and restart it. Starts fine. I put it in drive. It dies.

I towed the car into my friend's shop and he spent a while pulling his hair out trying to figure what caused this, because it was happening intermittantly, maybe 80% of the time you put it in drive. He called his friend who said "I've seen this. Try a different coil pack & module". Took the parts off a parts GN that was conveniently at his shop, put them on, and bam problem fixed.

Who the hell would have guessed that? I'm posting this because someday I know some guy is going to have this problem and be stumped. I'm glad to have had the problem fixed in one day :D

Berman, was that the only symptom? No missing or stumbling or anything? Mine sometimes dies too when I put it in gear, but I also have a low end miss. I think that may be my problem too.

Yup. Ran perfect in park AND reverse, which is what was extremely weird. Again, I'm sure this post is going to help some poor frustrated soul some day.

This post would have came in handy a couple of weeks ago. I had the exact same problem but with my '93 Typhoon. I checked all the past archives on the GN site and Sy/Ty site and could not find a exact answer. I owned my Ty for 8-yrs. This was happening for around a week and would just die and the only way it would start was to pull the ECM fuse and reinstall. Checked fuel press. it was OK so I figured it was electrical. Anyhow had to get it towed because the last time it would not start no matter what. Replaced the Module + Coil and all is well.

Ok, here's my question...

My car dies nearly everytime i put it in gear. However, it runs great otherwise without any misses, etc..

I was thinking iac though. Unfortunately i haven't had time to reset it but i know it is around 50 at warm idle. Could this be causing my prob?

TIA..

Yeah, as soon as you put it in drive, there'd be a little bit of a load on the motor, which is usually when a bad module would act up.

Right?

Good info.

Rich

It's the module that is bad. Quite often, they will restart after a cool down and run perfectly for a few minutes and then quit again.

I just fixed this exact problem with mine by replacing the module. Car would start up an run fine for a few minutes, then just quit w/o warning whether idling or driving down the road. Let it cool off for a while and it would restart.

Jim

Originally posted by 1ARUNEM
Ok, here's my question...

My car dies nearly everytime i put it in gear. However, it runs great otherwise without any misses, etc..

I was thinking iac though. Unfortunately i haven't had time to reset it but i know it is around 50 at warm idle. Could this be causing my prob?

TIA..

Sounds exactly like my problem was. Change the coil pack :D