Prelube and turning engine over by hand

McGuyver

My '87 GN has been sitting for quite awhile and after reading all the to prelude or not to prelude threads I have decided to pull the cam sensor and pick up a loaner priming tool at the auto parts house. I would like to alternate building oil pressure and turning it over by hand. Spark plugs will be out. I am also going to have to roll it by hand to proper position when reinstalling the cam sensor. At first glance I did not see the typical bolt on the balancer due to the intercooler fan. So what is the easy way to turn this engine over by hand? Oh, and the drill needs to spin the prelude tool clockwise correct?

If the spark plugs are out you can put a socket on the alternator and rotate it that way. Clockwise is correct.

or you could just remove the spark plugs, unplug the ecm wire, and spin it until the idiot light goes out.

If my car sits for more than a few days, I just pull the injector fuse and roll it over till the opsi gauge moves. Few secs is all usually. And I don't lose any ECM memory or chip settings.

Installed a pre-lube system when the car had less than 50 miles out of dealer. The extra 6.2lbs doesn't hurt anything. Never a problem. Every start just switch it on for a couple secs until the pressure gauge reads 60psi. It's automatic for me, switch is handy, never give it a thought. Can't hurt.

Mike, thanks for the reply I figured there would be an easy way. Earl, I thought about doing exactly that but with the car sitting so long I really think I am better off taking my time and going the prelube route. When it comes time to fire it up if there are no bad noises I will bring the rpms up to 2500 for a bit to get the oil splashed on everything else.

How long has your car been sitting and was there a running condition when it was parked?

Probably sitting in the garage for the last 20+ years. Stock and always ran sweet. Started it regularly until the factory battery would not hold a charge. It has sat long enough, time for spring cleaning times 20.

Prelube went well with a loner tool and drill. I was as able to roll the engine with the via the alternator bolt for the most part. The belt would slip a little from time to time so needed to help along with my free hand. Cam sensor went back in and set. It fired right up and ran just as smooth as 20+ years ago! Now it is time to flush the cooling system and get some new hoses on it.

Congrats! Glad to see another TR running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk