Precision Multi Disc lock up assist tube??

jmendlik

just got a used Precision "Multi 5" DIsc "0" pump Lock up converter. I have read people put these in without the lock up assist tube that precision says you need to run.

any thoughts out there??? Do I need to run the lock up assist tube or not?

Thanks

JM

Sorry to hijack... but I have one in my car.... didn't install the tube........ What am I missing out on? If it is a "must have" I assume I need to install one.... maybe when I upgrade trannys later.......(probably sooner... than later...)....

Just trying to figure out if it is going to drive diffrently.....

jmendlik said:
just got a used Precision "Multi 5" DIsc "0" pump Lock up converter. I have read people put these in without the lock up assist tube that precision says you need to run.

any thoughts out there??? Do I need to run the lock up assist tube or not?

Thanks

JM

What in the heck is an "assist tube"??

Well ... kiss my @ss..... I didn't do any of that...I just stuck mine in there... I bought my converter used here on the board.... got it in one day... put it in that weekend..... no other modifications...

Mine seems to lock-up just fine.... might not be a firm or fast of a lock-up as they intend... but I am actually pretty satisfied... 8k miles or so ....so far..... 4-5 trips to the track..... Mine locks as soon as it goes into second.....

P I says they no longer sell the tube kit. i had a customer call about it a few weeks ago and thats what he was told.

LV GN said:
P I says they no longer sell the tube kit. i had a customer call about it a few weeks ago and thats what he was told.

It would be reasonable to assume then... if they no longer sell it.... that they must have figured out it isn't necessary? ..... now I am really confused :confused: .....

I also would really like to know if it is needed. I have the same converter but I'm buying a new pump in the very near future and if Precision doesn't sell the tube kit anymore.....?????

Okay, I just got off the phone with Jack with PI. He said they do still sell the lock up assist tube kit, now here's the but... You have to use an AC Delco/GM 700r4 filter with assist tube, not one from the chain stores unless it's an AC. Reason is the cheapy ones can suck itself closed restricting the fluid flow and lowering pressure. So if you use the assist tube you must use an original GM/ AC Delco 700r4 filter. If you don't plan to run a GM 700 filter, then DO NOT run the tube kit.

I also asked about not using the assist tube kit and he said that not using the assist tube can cause lock up not to be as good ( the clutches can't lock together as good ) and can cause the clutch discs ( in the converter ) to glaze when used at WOT lock up. Prolonged use like this will ruin the clutches in the converter and it will eventually fail.

Thanks Donnie.

I'll put that on my list of things to do when the tranny comes out.... I plan on sending my converter in for a checkup anyway.... it seems too loose for what I want..... My DS logs are showing 4000 RPM at 5psi launch just before "take-off" .... that is too loose.... I need between 3200-3500....I actually don't need that much with the stock turbo... but will live with it until I get either my TE60 rebuilt or buy a GT6152.

Ok, so if I have the assist tube installed and I want to change the convertor to a conventional L/U type, do I have to remove the tube?

gnbrian

No, leave tube in --it will help any lockup lock quicker---how much? Who knows. It is designed to pull fluid out of the cavity that the lockup valve would normanly have to push out.