Power trunk release

Dr.drivability

9 second wannabee
Any one have a detailed schematic for the power trunk release? I am adding this option to my gn. Thanks, Dave

you may not need one! the power supply wire is in all regals already....open glove box and reach high on top of light (might be hot) and feel around for a wire/plug taped into the harness.....
once you find it,pull gentally,there is a few inches to work with there (haha)...
hook to push button switch,then run other wire all the way to trunk to motor...thats it...
remember,the ign has to be on,and the car in park to operate....HTH

Any one have a detailed schematic for the power trunk release? I am adding this option to my gn. Thanks, Dave

I've added this option to 3 of my late '80s/early '90s GM cars.

The latch mounted solenoid is self grounded. One wire goes back to the solenoid.

The way I wired mine is to tap it into the orange wire under the drivers-seat. It's always hot. Run the wire over to the plastic loom/channel that runs front to back under the carpet on the drivers-side,into the trunk,inside the trunk lid to the solenoid. Use small diameter convoluted tubing to protect the wire in the trunk.

I have a hidden micro-switch that I use with all of mine,reachable thru the drivers-side window. One is mounted in the plastic that covers the seat leg near the tranny hump.

You can also get power right from the BATT terminal of the fuse box,and run the wire back thru that channel mentioned above.

No more searching for a key to get in the trunk. It's a good idea to install a low amp fuse inline at the source.

Btw,there are 2 different/non-interchangeable solenoids. A large silver one used before aprox '85-6. Then GM went to a small black one. Doesn't matter if it's from a Buick,Cad,Chebby... They are the same. They bolt to your existing latch.

I hope this helped.

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops. ...will be getting a power trunk release soon.