Power seat not working...

DOUNVME

IHUNTV8S
I didn't see a forum for electrical, I hope this one is OK.

I have the factory installed drivers side 6 way power seat. It just stopped working. The motor "runs" but it doesn't move the seat in either direction. I haven't taken it out yet, b/c I am waiting for my hog rings to come in so I can install my new seat cover.

Anything I can look for/adjust/replace when I do take the seat out?

Chk your transmission

The motor controls a transmission that the plastic breaks with age. If all your switch postions are working then it's that part. Takes 4 bolts to remove seat do this so you can order parts before you redo your seat. Good luck in finding one took me 3 months!

I assume this is for your 86 GN. There is a plastic coupler that connects the motor to the seat transmission. It will break with age. It is still available from GM under part number 20614175 and has a MSRP of $12.42. This type of motor/transmission was used on 1986 and older GM cars. Most 87's use a 3 motor set up which does not have the plastic bodied transmission. BTW they are fun to replace when they are broken.

turbofish38 said:
I assume this is for your 86 GN. There is a plastic coupler that connects the motor to the seat transmission. It will break with age. It is still available from GM under part number 20614175 and has a MSRP of $12.42. This type of motor/transmission was used on 1986 and older GM cars. Most 87's use a 3 motor set up which does not have the plastic bodied transmission.
Is this PN the same on a 84 with Lier power seats?

Edit;
As my "luck" would have it, this JUST happened. Motor runs seat does not move at all. I ASS-U-ME it is the gearing or drive??

Power seat problem could be a stripped plastic gear

I just dealt with the same problem on my 85GN. Went to an auto wrecker and pulled a complete motor transmission unit from a fancier car. I think it may have been a LeSabre similar vintage. The unit looked identical. It wasn't the motor bracket was different and the flexible shafts were half inch or so longer meaning it wouldn't fit. Had to open up the transmission and found in both mine and the junk yard one that there is a black plastic spur gear in there that strips off cogs. The junker had the fewest chips missing from that gear so I cleaned out the chips in the original and installed the "new" gear and it works. Now I am VERY careful not to push against the motor while adjusting the seat.
HTH
Peter

Jerryl said:
Is this PN the same on a 84 with Lier power seats?

It should be.

The better thing to do, would be to upgrade with the newer style power seat adjuster that is used on the 87-88 G-bodies. It has 3 seperate motors instead of the plastic bodied 1 motor with transmission that is used on the 86 and older cars. I have pretty good luck finding them on 87-88 Cutlass'. Its more or less a plug and play. Along with the adjuster you have to replace the wire harness on the seat and the switch. I'm doing this on my fleet of old Buicks. I'm tired of fixing 20 year old plastic seat motors.

Upgrading power seats

Turbofish said:

The better thing to do, would be to upgrade with the newer style power seat adjuster that is used on the 87-88 G-bodies. It has 3 seperate motors instead of the plastic bodied 1 motor with transmission that is used on the 86 and older cars. I have pretty good luck finding them on 87-88 Cutlass'. Its more or less a plug and play. Along with the adjuster you have to replace the wire harness on the seat and the switch. I'm doing this on my fleet of old Buicks. I'm tired of fixing 20 year old plastic seat motors.

Now that is a better idea! Thanks for the tip.
Does the newer switch fit into the plastic cover or is there some surgery involved?
I'm definitely interested in looking into this conversion.
Peter

3point8 said:
Does the newer switch fit into the plastic cover or is there some surgery involved?

Its the same size. The plastic motors use a 7 pin switch and the metal motors use an 8 pin switch.

Power seat conversioin

Thank you!!
I'll be going that route soon, not too soon though its been raining here for two days straight. The wrecking yards will have to wait for me.

Peter