Power Robbing Windage...?

20psiofevil

Is windage and crank case vacuum the same thing? Or is vacuum a byproduct of windage? I understand that a crankshaft spinning at high rpm is moving air inside the pan doing all sorts of crazy stuff. Would one benefit greater from a windage tray or adding a vac canister?

On a side note I hear a proper setup canister is worth .2 on the strip? Anyone have similar results?

If you plan to spin your engine to 7- 8 thousand or more RPM, you will never see an improvement any where near a .2 tenths?

When you get to 700 HP or so, you may see a slight improvement at the track.

A proper evac system with a real pump will cost you close to $1k to do it right.

Nick's advice is solid. The average street car won't get any HP benefit from a vacuum pump. A good windage tray will help ensure good oiling at higher RPM. The stock pan has a windage tray of sorts welded in place. Improvements can and have been made to this design.

Now, having said all of the above, here is my experience with a "Vacuum pump" on my S2 race-car. I ran a race only car for many years, I always fought oil leaks. The rear main seal seeped and the valve covers would seep a little too........that was until I installed a "vacuum pump" . Now I did not buy one of the high dollar belt driven units that the Pro racers use. I found a GM AIR pump which is driven by a 12V electric motor. I ran a closed crankcase, No PCV valve, and pulled vacuum through a catch can of my own design to keep oil away from the pump. I turned the pump on using a Hobbs switch at 15 psi boost.

I didn't see any measurable increase in ET or MPH, but I never saw another oil leak!!!!! It didn't cost much to put together, and it STOPPED my oil leaks.

Nick's advice is solid. The average street car won't get any HP benefit from a vacuum pump. A good windage tray will help ensure good oiling at higher RPM. The stock pan has a windage tray of sorts welded in place. Improvements can and have been made to this design.

Now, having said all of the above, here is my experience with a "Vacuum pump" on my S2 race-car. I ran a race only car for many years, I always fought oil leaks. The rear main seal seeped and the valve covers would seep a little too........that was until I installed a "vacuum pump" . Now I did not buy one of the high dollar belt driven units that the Pro racers use. I found a GM AIR pump which is driven by a 12V electric motor. I ran a closed crankcase, No PCV valve, and pulled vacuum through a catch can of my own design to keep oil away from the pump. I turned the pump on using a Hobbs switch at 15 psi boost.

I didn't see any measurable increase in ET or MPH, but I never saw another oil leak!!!!! It didn't cost much to put together, and it STOPPED my oil leaks.
Did you pull a vacuum on the crankcase from the engine's vacuum when the pump wasn't on?

Is windage and crank case vacuum the same thing? Or is vacuum a byproduct of windage? I understand that a crankshaft spinning at high rpm is moving air inside the pan doing all sorts of crazy stuff. Would one benefit greater from a windage tray or adding a vac canister?

On a side note I hear a proper setup canister is worth .2 on the strip? Anyone have similar results?

Here is a good article on windage trays .

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/whats-a-windage-tray-do.64/

No PCV so no. Race cars don't idle much. Catch can kept things tidy at everything less than 15psi boost.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Is windage and crank case vacuum the same thing?

No. Windage is oil flying around all over the place and potentially airaiting your oil. Crankcase vacuum is when you have a pump to suck out the pressure (and them some) so weak ass rings can still seal.

On a normal TR with normal rings, you really need neither most of the time. These engines don;t spin that fast, and if you have a pressurized crankcase, there's normally a problem as the reason.