power master upgrade

gnandy

guys my power master died out and now i want to upgrade to a regular booster & master set up along with 12 inch front brake upgrade, any suggestions or part #s that i can use for this upgrade....thanks

Don't know about the 12" brakes but you can go to a salvage yard and get the vacuum booster, master cylinder, and you'll also need the brake pedal from any G-body car besides a TR...non-turbo Regal, Monte Carlo, El Camino, Cutlass, Grand Prix, etc. I really wish I knew what kind of booster was in my car so I could tell people because it looks so much better than some of the G-body boosters I've seen but it was put in before I bought the car. You'll also need one of the billet vacuum blocks with the extra port on the driver's side for the vacuum brake booster.

Attachments

• DSC00038.jpg
    DSC00038.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 184
I tried the vacuum assist with unsatisfactory results.

I currently have hydroboost from an 85 & am pleased with it, however it is pricy.

Simplest & probably cheepest setup would manual from, I'm told, a S10.

Auto Zone

Just got a "combo" unit from Auto Zone (booster/master cylinder) with vac hose and a can of black caliper paint to paint the booster for $150. I also got a polished Vac block from a board member for $40 and a pedal locally for $10. Removed the master and painted the booster yesterday (looks great) and will get it all installed this week. I've got about $200 in all new/reman parts with warranty. Just ask for the booster/master for an 86/87 regal V-8.

JST A6,
Your master and booster looks just like the one on my 87 Trans AM. I used one on my 68 fire bird too its small diameter looks better then the normal booster every one usually uses.

Just got a "combo" unit from Auto Zone (booster/master cylinder) with vac hose and a can of black caliper paint to paint the booster for $150. I also got a polished Vac block from a board member for $40 and a pedal locally for $10. Removed the master and painted the booster yesterday (looks great) and will get it all installed this week. I've got about $200 in all new/reman parts with warranty. Just ask for the booster/master for an 86/87 regal V-8.

Just a note: The "combo" unit I purchased looks just like the one in the picture (smaller booster). I will post up some pics later.

I just remembered something--the master cylinder in my picture posted above is from a '87 V8 Regal. I forgot I had changed it. I don't know where the booster came from as that was in the car when I bought it. The reason I changed the master cylinder is because the other one had a very tall reservoir on it (probably came out of a fullsize car or truck or something) that was rubbing and damaging my brand new hoodliner, so I got this master cylinder from a board member that was parting out a V8 Regal, cleaned it up and painted it and the booster, and swapped the master cylinder out. This setup I have now does not touch the hoodliner.