power logger newbie please help!!

wb's87

willrock
i installed my PL today and made a quick ride just to get some data to try to analyze. i really have no clue what everything means. why does the pl not record the boost level? I am going to attempt to upload my test run if someone will be kind enough to look @ it and give me some feedback. thanks!!

Attachments

• 3.zip
    33.7 KB · Views: 82
Well first off you don't have the boost hooked up. You need to tap into the green MAP wire. Go to Vortex Turbo Buick Performance in the tech section see the Powerlogger MAP instructions. You can also read the Scantool instructions. Full Throttle and Turbo Tweak both have forums that also describe what the data means. Your TPS seems to be hardly functioning. Might have a big dead spot in it.

You don't have the boost hooked into powerlogger, showing some knock...too much timing...too much boost....little on the lean side on the O2's?

i could hear the knock and let off. what can i do to tune? the fuel press. is at 42psi hose off. i have another log of a normal drive.

Hey Pronto, Thanks for the link I will start studying immediately now that you steered me in the right direction. the first log was very short. mostly at idle except for a quick wot test until it knocked. the 2nd log dat.2 is a typical drive.

I don't believe Red's chip is adjustable. Most chips are set for 43lbs line off, might want to check on that. A Turbo Tweak chip can be adjusted for fueling and timing. Very handy for tuning.

I don't believe Red's chip is adjustable. Most chips are set for 43lbs line off, might want to check on that. A Turbo Tweak chip can be adjusted for fueling and timing. Very handy for tuning.

I have purchased a alky chip from TT. also Razor's alky kit. neither are installed yet. i'm trying to take it one step at a time. now that i the have power logger in after i get a little more comfortable wtih this i will install the alky kit and TT chip. one mod at a time right? i feel like i'm floundering a bit right now. i really wanted to try and get a good tune on this thing so i have something to compare to after the next steps.

hello people; This is something that I think will be hepful to alot of people. If you don't mind but could you tell exactly what you do to change any info. the powerlogger gives you. I still have a OTC so if I do go for something like a powerlogger it would help alot. But some examples of before and after is what I'am talking about.
thanks
IBBY

I have purchased a alky chip from TT. also Razor's alky kit. neither are installed yet. i'm trying to take it one step at a time. now that i the have power logger in after i get a little more comfortable wtih this i will install the alky kit and TT chip. one mod at a time right? i feel like i'm floundering a bit right now. i really wanted to try and get a good tune on this thing so i have something to compare to after the next steps.

You're heading in the right direction by studing your data and educating yourself. Make sure you are good basic tune ie; fresh plugs, wires, oil, clean air filter, fuel filter, etc (aka spring cleaning), then proceed with TPS and IAC. Turn the boost down some too since your getting some knock. When you get that done post a file starting at a dead stop then building boost to 3 or 4lbs then WOT through the gears.

jlat, the Powerlogger is a data tool that allows you to see what's going on during a run. From that data you see what to tune and what issues you might be having other than engine tune.

okay. i feel like i have a good starting place. i'm using ac r43ts plugs gapped @ .035, wires, air filter and fuel filter are brand new. bad weather here, i probably wont get a chance to do too much testing until next week sometime if it clears up. i will post up asap. Thanks!!

okay. i feel like i have a good starting place. i'm using ac r43ts plugs gapped @ .035, wires, air filter and fuel filter are brand new. bad weather here, i probably wont get a chance to do too much testing until next week sometime if it clears up. i will post up asap. Thanks!!

Back up...

Reduce that gap to around .028. You are going to blow through .035 at 22 Lbs boost.

Using Reds chip and at 22Lbs boost with no alky - are you running racing fuel straight? If not, turn the boost down to 15 Lbs or less. You need to get the alky kit and the TT chip installed beffore you get too far. Alky spraying when under boost is much cheaper than running race fuel all the time.

Mike

If i'm at the track I always run straight race gas, 116 octane if they have it which they sometimes don't. then i use 112. that combo is with red's 107 chip, set @ 26lbs of boost. i have rarely had a knock issue and the car runs very strong. even though i have been shooting in the dark without a PL. on the street i run 93 with red's 93 chip. I will decrease the gap and see how it is. if you looked @ the log i posted (dat.3) i experienced some knock but i think i may have been a little low on fuel. my gage is very not accurate and although it was showing almost 1/2 tank it might be a lot less. if not i shouldn't have gotten any knock, so i hope thats it. i am very anxious to install the alky kit and chip. i have been procrastinating about it because it is overwhelming to me right now. i am a very good mechanic but terrible with electronics. i have been studying up on the alky system to try to build my confidence a little before i start.

Don't forget that leaded race gas will destroy the O2 sensor in short order. I agree with Beamer, reduce the gap and install your TT chip and the Alky kit. Use straight meth and run about 15lbs boost. Work your way up from there.

that sounds like really good advice. i plan to start installing the alky kit this weekend. the installation seems somewhat complicated but the instructions seem to be thorogh and well thought out. i'm sure i'll be on here looking for a savior if i run into trouble.

I'm not good with wiring but installed my alky kit with no problems.

I'm not good with wiring but installed my alky kit with no problems.

when you said to use straight meth. im assuming you mean in the alky system. i have been alittle confused on what to run. i hear of people using e85 but i think theyre using that for fuel?