Power Difference of PT54 vs. TE44

mikebart101

Just curious about what the power difference is between a TE44 and a PT54 when set at the same boost levels. Lets say 20lbs. Is there a big difference between the two at this bosst level?

How about this...

How much more power would a GT6152 be pushing at 20lbs than a TE44 at 20lbs? Im looking at installing Alky and setting the boost at no more than 20lbs for the street. I want to know if buying a new turbo will be worth it.

Check sig for mods.

I had a similar set up to you back in 1999 and i went 123+mph in the quarter with a PT54 at 24 psi and 3550lbs. I dont have any runs at 20psi though. At 20psi i dont think it would be that significant, but the 54 wuld definitely make a lot more power from 20psi and up. It also depends where your revving to. If you go to 5500-5600 with the 54 i think you would see 15-20 more hp than the 44 at the same rpm and boost pressure. Under 5200 with 20psi, i wouldnt expect a big difference in power.

Now after looking at different turbos, I think I might go with the GT6152 instead of the 54. Ive heard good things about this beast. Anyone now how well spool will be with my combo?

Neither turbo will make more power at low boost.

My daily driver saw zErO performance gains with the stock heads between a 44 and a 54.

I loved my 44 10x more than the 54, and at 20 psi it wasnt that quick...TILL i hit the sweet spot of 23-24 psi of boost and the 44 made the car fly.

20 PSI of boost with a larger turbo is a waste unless you have really good heads, then again, if you have race ported heads then a 54 will be too small......
I just went back and noticed you are going to try the 6152, I have that turbo on my blue limited (currently has the motor out) i purchased it broken.
The 61 with the champions and roller cam is going to be quite the street beast, off idle torque and lots of higher RPM horsepower..

I will let you know how she goes :biggrin:
Im going to start the boost at 20 and work it to 25 and get the timing set right with erics chip, My goal is 10.9 at 124...

BW

mikebart101 said:
Now after looking at different turbos, I think I might go with the GT6152 instead of the 54. Ive heard good things about this beast. Anyone now how well spool will be with my combo?

I have been running this turbo on my car since October-05 at 20 psi on straight 93 and the car pulls everywhere. I run a 3K stall converter(3200 stall PI sitting in garage) and 10-20 ft out and the tires just smoke so 3200+ should make it happen quicker. The 245 street radials just don't stand a chance in 1st or 2nd. At 10-12 psi and part throttle on the highway, the car pulls quickly past 100 mph. You won't be disappointed with your setup and that turbo. I can't wait to hit the track and see what it runs as it sits.

Thanx for the input guys. I think Im going to definately try the gt6152. Even if it spools a little slower than the 44 that will be a good thing. As it stands, my 44 spools way too fast for the street. Any WOT under 30mph and the tires disentegrate.

At 20+psi and alky, that thing should pull like a mother :biggrin: