Power antenna

Scoobydrew87

I am not sure if this is the right spot for this, if not I apologize.

I have a non power antenna and given that my car is covered except when I am driving it (about once a week) it becomes a pain putting the antenna on and taking it off. I also dont want to strip anything by constantly putting it on and off. My question is how hard is to install one? Wiring, etc. Thanks.

And you don't want to poke a hole right where the mast would go? Might even be able to glue some sort of rubbery grommet or gasket material so although the antenna goes through the cover it still is water tight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Stay with the fixed mast. The power antennas are a pain. The cables that raise and lower the mast are not reliable...constantly breaking. Do as speedracerx suggested. Just poke a hole in the cover where the antenna is. If your set on putting a power antenna in it's not too difficult but you will have to unbolt the right fender to install it. You will need the power antenna, mounting brackets and wiring.

Fixed mast and oem power antennas mount in different areas of the passenger fender. If you switch to a power antenna you will probably want to buy a aftermarket one that can be mounted in the fixed mount location. I would keep the mast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay with the fixed mast. The power antennas are a pain. The cables that raise and lower the mast are not reliable...constantly breaking. Do as speedracerx suggested. Just poke a hole in the cover where the antenna is. If your set on putting a power antenna in it's not too difficult but you will have to unbolt the right fender to install it. You will need the power antenna, mounting brackets and wiring.

The cable constantly breaking problem has been solved. Kirbans sell a rebuilt power antenna with a steel cable versus the plastic one that was originally used.

For your car cover you need to make a hole and install a Teflon grommet. I got my car cover from California Car Cover Company, and I told them I had a fixed antenna and they sent me a kit. You may be able to contact them and buy one for little $. 1. Remove your antenna and put the car cover on the car. 2. Mark location of the fixed antenna as the cover is positioned correctly. 3. Remove cover and use a sharp pencil to poke a hole through the cover. 4. Install the Teflon grommet from California Car Cover Company. The grommet reinforces the area and prevents it from ripping.

Craig

For your car cover you need to make a hole and install a Teflon grommet. I got my car cover from California Car Cover Company, and I told them I had a fixed antenna and they sent me a kit. You may be able to contact them and buy one for little $. 1. Remove your antenna and put the car cover on the car. 2. Mark location of the fixed antenna as the cover is positioned correctly. 3. Remove cover and use a sharp pencil to poke a hole through the cover. 4. Install the Teflon grommet from California Car Cover Company. The grommet reinforces the area and prevents it from ripping.

Craig

This is an excellent solution.