Power antenna issues

mike_stahl2000

So my factory power antenna crapped out in my. Would run and run but no movement, so another member happened to be selling still new in package a power antenna. And now this one is acting stupid! I wasn't to thrill about the idea of pulling on my fender the way I did the first time, let alone a second time. What does everyone else do? Just disconnect the wire for power antenna? Do you still get signal? Do they still make windshields with the antenna built in? Cause I won't think twice about ripping that damned thing out and welding up that hole prior to paint. I even sprayed WD-40 down the hole just to make sure it worked effortless. [emoji849][emoji379]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had my car painted and the windshield replaced, it does have the antenna in it but my body says you have to get the plug-in deal for the windshield then plug it into the radio. So yes to that question. He also told me i can just buy a "fixed antenna" and plug that into radio but im not sure about routing the wire to the radio with that one. Havent got that far yet. Mine fell down in the fender when he was messing with it to paint. Also i no longer can get signal for radio but dont really give a crap. The hole does bother me though so im gonna have to do something with it.

Mike, I fixed mine with the steel cable..been working for 5+ yrs now. I also did the fix well after it was painted...Mike

I think I saw that steel cable trick on here, maybe I'll do it with the one I took out. Thanks for the reminder.

I screwed with my antenna enough to want to cry. Open fender, remove old, close fender, buy fixed mast kit, can't find the right bracket, maybe I don't need a bracket, scour the world for a bracket, give up, try to disconnect antenna lead up top near strut tower, will not come apart, give up, look at running the fixed mast lead all the way to radio, looks impossible and I'm getting too stiff in the back for that crap, finally buy the aftermarket power antenna that Kirban and Highway Stars sells, open fender again, install it, plug it in, SAME ISSUE AS BEFORE, similar to what you described.
Turned out to be the plug connector up top. The connector that sits under the hood, not the one that comes from the antenna, I feel degrades over the 28+ years and loosens up and makes poor contact with the other plug.

If your issue is the same with the old antenna and the new one, my guess is it's the plug connection. Wiggle it and move it around while the power to radio is on and you might be surprised as to how it reacts.
I solved my problem by cutting off both plug ends and hard wiring the wires together.
Now it works great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

did you check the relay for the antenna thats behind the dash, right side of the glovebox ,above the ecm?

It works, well the motor does anyway, just only goes so far up then won't go back down, just keeps running. POS.

thats a busted cord , problem with old nos stuff is the nylon cord is old and thats what happens .
.kirbansperformance has the cord repair pretty cheap

I'm gonna give that steel wire trick that mikes86ttop was referring to and see what happens.

thats a busted cord , problem with old nos stuff is the nylon cord is old and thats what happens .
.kirbansperformance has the cord repair pretty cheap
Any idea where I can get a how to replace step step on this subject, purchased the gm kit , but no idea ho to do it