Powder Coating

Woody

I am starting a powder coaying business and have a spare doghouse, valve covers (stock and GN1's), and intake manifold for a 87 GN. My question is if you wanted to see these items powder coated what color would you prefer?
I am leaning toward Mirror Black over a chrome base......Please give me your opinions/ suggestions...

Thank you Guys!!!

Woody

PS

I don't have a oven yet but will be getting one soon

Hth

That may be too much black. Your injector rail,injectors,egr,cooling lines,vacuum lines,coil pak and alot of other stuff is black on top...IMHO I think you need to go with a good silver for contrast....Maybe do the dog house black for contrast.....Tim

If these are just display items that you will show before and after pics, why not do the dog house in two colors? One side silver the other a different color?
Two pics for the price of one.

Me personally I would prefer a Metallic Gray or Dark Blue Metallic finish.

HTH and good luck with your new venture.

Patrick

Thank you for your replies Tim and Patrick! I think your suggestions have merit.....Too much black could overwhelm you.....I am also going to offer ceramic coatings........so perhaps a shiney ceramic finish would be the ticket.

Thanks again guys!!

Woody

I just got my stock up-pipe powdered gloss black. Looks like he did a few coats because the metal looks thicker than before. Cost 30$ and he had to mask off the top of a v-band style flange (for the tial BOV). Just to give you an idea of pricing (to beat :)

Thats good to know Woody. I was thinking that we needed a powdercoating place here in town and low and behold here you are. Once its going I will be doing some business with you keep us updated.

Woody,
I was thinking you did polishing work also, are you still doing that? How did that one for Chance turn out.

Preferences....

I like the silver, close to original color.

Also I am looking for someone to do a set and a dog house in gray metallic with the tops of the ridges and bolt flanges polished clear or silver. Two tone (gray/silver) to match my T. Wishful thinking maybe...

UNIX, Thanks for the pricing information. That is what I would charge for an up pipe. Most people I have been in contact with who Powder Coat have a minimum price of $25. Valve covers run $10 per cylinder plus $25 for speciality coatings (candies), intake manifolds $65 ($90 for speciality coatings). I intend to do the above keeping within these price guide lines. I will also do brake calipers, wheels, and motorcycle parts. Hopefully, this fall/early winter I will be set up for frames, and rear ends.

Sam, I did get Chance his intake back to him....It wasn't a show piece by any stretch of the imagination....I bit off more than I could chew on my promise to him. I didn't have the special (small) buffs required to do a show piece job and my buffing machine was totally inadequate to properly polish an intake manifold. If you remember I had to leave in the middle of the job to go to New Mexico due to my mother becomming ill. Anyway, I didn't charge Chance anything for the work I did and told him I would exchange his intake for one I would buy and polish, again no charge. I have upgraded my buffing machine and am going to order another one soon. One that will allow me to properly polish intake manifolds. But to answer your question Sam, no, I haven't pushed the polishing anymore.........I did my TH stainless steel down pipe and dump

Thank you for your interest and encouragement everyone!!

Woody

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 165
I cant remember the price you qouted Chance, but I do remember thinking ,I have almost that in materials. I started on the back side of mine and stopped after I realized how dificult it was going to be.

I have seen several powder coated manifolds, this seems like the way to go.

Another neat feature you can offer is the translucent powders on the pulleys. It makes them look like they are anodized aluminum. A friend and myself were sitting around the shop one night bored and decided to coat every piece of his engine and it turned out looking good.

What size oven are you getting?

BTW: Good to see another OKIE on the board.

Headstrong, I look forward to meeting you and hope our business will live up to your expectations!!

Dreamcar, the colors offered for powder coating today are almost endless...
I am trying to find some one to build my oven for me, but have been unsuccessful thus far.....But it will accommadate a frame when built.

One thing tho, I have noticed that pictures of rearends that have been powder coated (and frames) the welds are not ground, which leaves nothing more than a shiney surface when Powder coated (or painted for that matter). I want to convey to my customers that I will provide the best finish possible.........no short cuts....I will make sure that welds are ground smooth, and give my customers something that will give them something they will be proud of to show the detail of the work they did to their car. Lets face it, I'm not the one that pulls the rearend..I didn't go to the time, sweat and blood to do a frame off rebuild of my car..but I am a hot rodder, LOVE cars, and know the detail(s) guys like us look for in a car. I will go the extra mile for you.....

Thanks guys! I am looking forward to serving the Buick community soon!!

PS My cars: 1984 Chevrolet Z28, 1978 Chevrolet Malibu station wagon, 1981 Chevrolet Malibu, 1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL, 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe 2dr, 2wd