Possible newbie here with a few questions....

Fighting5thSVT

I have searched this forum for YEARS as an outsider- but just might actually join the club here....

I am really thinking of purchasing a 87 GN hardtop with 66k miles for between $11k-$12k. It is bone stock and I am looking forward to building it and learning what I can.

I have money put aside for "stage 1" to be done all at once---

TurboTweak chip/tune
Alky kit
Scanmaster
Fuel pump and hotwire
60# injectors
Hooker exhaust
Nitto Drag radials
and of course---spring cleaning

My question is how much is my boost limit with the alky kit for the most SAFE power? What kind of dyno numbers or 1/4 mile time have you guys run on this setup? Also, how important is the downpipe at this "stage" of the buildup? Would I get any benefits from a RJC powerplate right now either?

I appreciate the help- hopefully you will be seeing more of me around!

Former 12sec Lightning owner- now turning to the dark side.........

I have searched this forum for YEARS as an outsider- but just might actually join the club here....

I am really thinking of purchasing a 87 GN hardtop with 66k miles for between $11k-$12k. It is bone stock and I am looking forward to building it and learning what I can.

I have money put aside for "stage 1" to be done all at once---

TurboTweak chip/tune
Alky kit
Scanmaster
Fuel pump and hotwire
60# injectors
Hooker exhaust
Nitto Drag radials
and of course---spring cleaning

My question is how much is my boost limit with the alky kit for the most SAFE power? What kind of dyno numbers or 1/4 mile time have you guys run on this setup? Also, how important is the downpipe at this "stage" of the buildup? Would I get any benefits from a RJC powerplate right now either?

I appreciate the help- hopefully you will be seeing more of me around!

Former 12sec Lightning owner- now turning to the dark side.........

I ran 22psi with that setup w/ alky..zero knock......I was running low 13's on old street tires......I saw a big differance when I put a 3" dp on.....saw no differance in my times it just made the tires blow away quicker....you could run 12's ...........my car idled better after the rjc plate...

Make sure the body is in good condition first. Also might want to go with M/T radials. Other than that seems like it will be a potent combo, until you get boost fever.

Make sure the body is in good condition first. Also might want to go with M/T radials. Other than that seems like it will be a potent combo, until you get boost fever.

yeah, scratch those nitto's the M/T are not on back order anymore

The MT tires will hook better, but if you're using these on the streets and drive it a few thousand miles a year, I'd go with the Nittos. Depends on what you're going to be doing more of. The Nittos are almost like an aquatread tire, the MT are more like a "hydroplane" tire.

You should be able to run mid to high 12s once you learn what your car likes. A turbo and intercooler next year and you are in the 11s

Buy a Powerlogger instead of a Scanmaster, it will make tuning far more simple.

Powerlogger for datalogging, Scanmaster for ready reference

Yes on the RJC Powerplate
Plan on a bigger turbo and intercooler.

The combination is the key.

Which turbo do you guys recommend? It is going to be a summer night cruiser/weekend warrior car with maybe 2-3 nights a year at the track, but I want it to be reliable enough to drive the family in on nice days (although my 4year old loves going fast!)...

Also can someone give me the pro's and cons of the scanmaster vs. powerlogger?

Scanmaster,
Pros: no laptop required, you can watch it all of the time, good for reference.
Cons: very slow refresh rate makes it poor for finding WOT problems and poor for tuning since you won't get very many readings.

Powerlogger,
Pros: Everything. 18+ frames per second, able to monitor boost as well as a wideband, and a few other inputs if desired.
Cons: Need a laptop in the car.

That said - you can buy BOTH and the Scanmaster will read at something like 5 frames per second instead of 1 frame ever 1.12 seconds (those numbers might be a bit off, but they're close, going off memory). With the Scanmaster running through Powerlogger instead of the ALDL port it makes it quite a bit better.

... and a big +1 for using an RJC Power Plate, I've ran them on every Buick I've ever owned and convince anyone I know to run one of theirs. One of the best mods you can do.

As for turbo, how fast do you want to go, and what kind of octane do you want to run? Going to run alcohol?

Appreciate the info!

As far as turbos go-

I plan on running nothing but 93 octane pump gas with the alky. I would be more than happy with mid to low 12's when I do take it---but just one timeslip of 11.99 or better would look great framed about my toolbox in the garage:rolleyes:

I am still up in the air on changing the torque converter- can I achieve my goal without touching it and how strong are the stock trannys. From expierence, I know a new PI converter can make a world of difference--but I have a feeling I will be flat broke by the time I get to that point!

Thanks again guys......

You don't even really need a bigger turbo than stock to run those ETs, though a TA49 will make it easier to do.

With a TA49, stock D5 (converter) 60# injectors on pump gas/alcohol you should be able to get into the 11s with ease.

Stock transmissions will live into the 11s, but if you're looking for reliable low 12s/high 11s I would have it gone through by a good builder. You'll thank yourself later.

There is a good thread about a bunch of little porting mods you can do to make that goal easier... let me see if I can dig it up real quick...

Edit: Looks like it is now a sticky in the engine tech forum...
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/258301-follow-my-port-polish-project.html