Posi Rebuild ?s

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Hi all,

I got my "clutch kits" from GM yesterday - one left and one right. Each kit contains 4 disc like things. 2 have a friction type material and "ears", 2 are discs. They also have a bunch of little half-moon shaped things. I've seen posts that say to "jam as many clutches as possible" into the rear when rebuilding. What are we talking about here. Do I need more of these parts?

Maybe it will all become apparent when I take the carrier out.

Is there an online source for a step by step rebuild procedure?

What kind of oil should I put back in it. I know I need the additive, but Mobil 1 makes gear oil for limited slip rears and some folks have said that the additive is not necessary with that stuff.

TIA,
Jim

Pic

Here's a pic of the 2 kits I got:

26045829 is "right"
26045830 is "left"

Here's a pic of both kits:
http://www.turbojimmy.com/rear_clutches.jpg

The 5829 kit has just 4 pieces - 2 carbon fiber covered discs and 2 smooth splined discs. There's a note that says to disregard prior service bulleting regarding stacking clutches.

The 5830 kit is more like what I was expecting - a bunch of discs.

The manual makes no reference to a difference between "right" and "left" clutches but those little half-moon things are different sizes.

Anyone actually done this before?

Thanks,
Jim

The older kits that I remember came with enough clutches to do one rear. Side shouldnt matter as the clutches and steels are the same from one side to another. You can try to stuff as many as you can in there, but you have to make sure you have enough clearance to get the spider gears back in. Email me directly if you want some pointers. the_dude_nj@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Lee

Those part numbers are wrong!!! I should've posted a follow-up, but I didn't. I have an extra set of new, in the box GM clutches from that job. I didn't know how many to buy, but GNVAIR is correct - one box is enough clutches to do one rear. The correct P/N is 00231127.

If you're interested in the clutches shoot me an e-mail.

Jim

The clutches shown in those pictures appear to be for the Eaton style posi. The stock clutch plates for the GN usually have square tabs sticking out rather than rounded style ones like the Eaton posi's have. Also, I don't think the stock GN posi requires those little half moon shaped things. Did you do your rebuild yet? If you have extra parts left over, email info on what you have and a price. Thanks, Jeff

I wasnt able to see the pics earlier. Now I can see them.
Those clutches are for the Gov Lock as used in the trucks.
Definitely different than the factory posi units in the Buicks.

Originally posted by snodgrass
The clutches shown in those pictures appear to be for the Eaton style posi. The stock clutch plates for the GN usually have square tabs sticking out rather than rounded style ones like the Eaton posi's have. Also, I don't think the stock GN posi requires those little half moon shaped things. Did you do your rebuild yet? If you have extra parts left over, email info on what you have and a price. Thanks, Jeff

Yes, I finished the job a while ago. GMPARTSDIRECT took those wrong clutches back after a bit of a fight. Works great. The only useful extra parts I have are the clutches. I bought 2 boxes thinking I'd need one for each side, but you only need one box to do the job. I don't even remember what I paid for them. I'll check and PM you if you're interested in them. I never even opened the box.

Jim