Popping and Banging under high boost.

703crewchief

Hello Members of the Board,

I'm very perplexed by a problem my new toy has. The car is an '87 Regal Turbo T and my extras include a cold air hard pipe with a K&N filter, a TO4E A/R 60 compressor, adj. fuel pressure regulator, Hooker headers with downpipe, big exhaust, and a Conley's Mini Mag PROM. I've owned the car a month and for two weeks now the car will pop and sputter out of both intake and exhaust when boost gets over 15 psi. This cause the engine to lose all power and takes a few seconds before it can rev again. Sometimes it will do it a little lower in the boost, and sometimes a little higher. It sounds as if it loses a cylinder or two, then it takes a few seconds for that cylinder or cylinders to pick back up after I lift off the throttle. My first thought was of fuel pressure, but the pressure is around 63lbs at 18- 20psi boost with no drop anywhere. I was told that was plenty. So my next action was to check MAF readings with a GM Tech 1(slow!). My MAF reads a maximum of 255 g/s, is that good? Even so, I had another MAF available, tried it and the problem is still there. Also the complete ignition system was swapped. New wires, plugs, coil pack and module. Still the popping is there, and it is getting worse. My next concern would be the injectors, they are stock but the car was running real strong before. I will perform an injector balance test Monday and see if they are all the same. If they are good, I have no ideas where to go next. If anybody out there has expereinced this or can help me in anyway, I will be very grateful for your input. Thank You.

What did u gap your plugs too? And what plugs did u go with?
And what is your boost set at? Do u have a scan tool?
;)

Yes, I have been using a GM Tech 1 factory scantool. Its datastream and snapshot capacity are horrible. But, there are no codes and all components seem to function as designed. Well, it looks that way from the live data I can retrieve anyway. I was running AC R44TS spark plugs, switched to AC CR43TS gapped at .035 and still the problem persists. As for my boost, 18 lbs is the most I've seen out of it. Also, I don't think it is valve springs, because depending on where the boost is it will pop and sputter as low as 3500 rpm. My vacuum guage reads 15 hg at idle and in the twenties on deceleration with not so much as a twitch. A friend of mine suggests the heads may have lifted during a Kamikaze run I pulled the other night. 24lbs. using Sunoco 110, the boost is turned down now though. If anyone has an idea let me know.

I've had similar problems a bunch of times in the past 7-8 years. All with differnt things wrong. You said you've replaced the coil pack/wires. That would be the first place I would have tried. Maybe also the control module. I've also had similar problems with bad grounds causing it (the nuts holding the front of the coil pack base down were only finger tight). Can you tell if there is any knock retard when this happens? It may be that you are just running too much boost for your gas. Since it sounds like your 24 lb run went OK with 110 octane. Could even be a misadjusted cam sensor (had that one too). Any cracks on the driver's side header? What are the O2's at WOT? Did you check compression since this started? Maybe a headgasket blown but you'ld probably see other signs of that too.... Just some thoughts. But 18 psi on pump gas without alky or something may be too much for the timing in the chip and you're detonating. Who knows... :rolleyes:

Derrick

Try hooking up with the local Buick club, plenty of experienced guys in the Houston Buick Club (HBC) that can give you a hand. Send me an email at: captaininsane_o@mail.com for details on how to get signed up for the email list.

The last car club bash for the season is this saturday out at Lonestar Raceway on I-10, the club's christmas party is Saturday the 14th & we'll be having our annual 1st of the year meeting at Conley's Performance Plus ( www.conleyracing.com ) in mid/late january... we hold different events thoughout the year (cruise nights, test & tune sessions, Car Club Bash, etc...) soo hope you can make it to something soon!

As to your problem, how many miles on the car? what fuel pump are you running exactly? what's the base fuel pressure set at? Sounds like it could be a combination of weak spark & too much boost for the octane you're running.

Doug C.

Check all hoses & clamps between the turbo & throttle body.You may have one that blows open during higher boost & closes when boost drops.
I have also had coil pacs that don't have the balls to fire under higher boost, (the type 2 wouldn't on my car). Check your ground wiring @ the back of the pass. head.
James