Poor man's GNX

HOTSIX

Ran outta hand cleaner
Anyone here ever tried the suspension rebuild on Art Keene's site ? It's here:

http://www.geocities.com/turbo84gn/articles.html

I want to try it on mine this winter but it's pricey...espicially the rear boxed control arms 'n such. Have any of you done the front end rebuild ? The Polyurethane bushings and H&R springs and new balljoints....etc. ?

The entire project will put you just a tick over a G-note - USD.
Thats about 8 Million CDN.....:D

Is it a do it yourself project ?

I have done the H&R springs, and as far as control arms, you can save a bundle by welding yours, or having it done. I have seen numerous sets at swap meets, it works great. The ball joints, etc are simple to do, so yes, it is a do it yourselfer. I will be honest though, I haven't really noticed enough difference with the H&R's that I would spend that much coin again. You could do just as well with rear cargo coils (variable rate), and a good set of front springs. Look around, there are all kinds of bargains out there.

You can go to any steel supplier in you area and buy steel sheet stock. All you need to do is cut it to cover the U-shaped channel on the bottom side of the rear control arms. Make sure to leave at least 1/4" of gap at the ends to prevent any interference with changing bushings. You don't want to warp the cylindrical hole at the ends. I have done this using a stick welder, but recommend a mig for ease of operation and appearance. Make sure that you don't try to zip along with the welder and get too much heat into the steel. Take your time, get a good weld, and leave the trailing arms straight and true. After the plates have been welded onto the arms, they are stiff and the feel of the car is incredible. Poston, I believe it is, sells a kit with the welded arms, as well as other companies. It works, and is cheap. Just takes time and elbow grease. I have actually seen a guy who took rectangular steel stock, and round tubing to build his own rear trailing arms. He just measured to make sure the length was the same, and welded the round tubing perpendicularly across the ends. THese tubes had to be just the right size to accept the bushings, but all he did ws match up the size to the stock arms. HE even added holes to tap in zerk fitting so he could grease his neoprene. The whole deal cost him less than $25.00. WHat a bargain. You may want to try the fittings on yur stock arms. You may be able to have the steel cut for you if you take cardboard cut-outs of what you want to the steel shop with you. Good luck.

Hey thanks a lot man...

I may give this a shop over the winter...got my garage insulated and probably heated too so I will be in good shape to do further work on my ride. I really wanna try the susp rebuild as the one on it now is old and original.

I went to the Midwest Challenge and there is a company called HRPartsAndStuff that carries the steel precut to fit the controll arms. If you can't find them online, contact the Chicago GS club, they sponsor the meet and could help you contact these guys. Good Luck, and let me know how it goes.