plug wire recommendations

1984grandnat

Who sells a decent set of plug wires for our cars? I tried some of those Accel "universal" (cut and crimp your own) POS's, but the boots keep popping off of them (terminal and all). I am getting sick of re-attaching the wires to the terminals in the middle of changing plugs at the track...so do you guys know anyone who sells the "proper" plug wires for our cars? Should I just use a set for an IC car?

Thanks

Haven't tried it on my 85 GN, but I have heard that the aftermarket 86/7 lifetime plug wires that you buy at the parts stores actually fit better than the ones they have for the 84/5s...

I've been using the lifetime ones from Autozone on my 85 and other than pulling a terminal or two off, I haven't had any problems...They work fine...Best thing is, since they are lifetime, take 'em back every year or two and say you think there is a problem with them, and get a new set... ;)

But O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, etc. should also be about the same, too...

I have also heard the the GM plug wires are also good too...
85's have been discontinued, but the 86/7s are still available...There may be some 84/5 plug wires still out in the system in a warehouse or on dealership shelf somewhere, but you'd have to have your parts person look into it...The 86/7s are about $35-40...

Magnecors are great. Get the 10mm if you want extra insulation, 8mm have the same inner wires and they work great on my '84.

If you have a larger down pipe like my 3", dont get the ones from Advanced. Dont know how the other local parts store wires would hold up.
The Advanced wires I had were lifetime warranty Autolite 8.5mm. They were fine for my driver's side but could not take the heat at all on the passenger's.
I had a popping problem that was hard to track down until I touched the wires. The outer insulation had separated from the inside. They were just wrinkling up! Couldnt tell just by looking. Spark was leaking like crazy!
Another vote for the magnecor's, they have been great so far, and they do sell sets made for 84-85 (just ask). Also had the wires sold by Poston's/ Kirban's (same wires) a while back, they worked good too.

I just installed MSD universal plug wires on Chevy 350 and love the performance increase and custom looks. The guy at the local speed shop will not use anything else except the MSD universal set. When I get my 84 GN engine rebuilt a MSD set is what I'll use. If you use a vise with the crimping tool and don't limp wrist when you tight down the vise the end will not pull out. I have never used the accel set, it sounds like you did not follow the directions and/or did not get a good crimp.

To make the crimps, I used the (cheap) little crimping tool that they sent with the wires. I did not use a vise, but a (small) 4-lb sledgehammer seemed to work fine, hehe! I probably should have used a little dielectric grease on the plugs before I put the wires on, but oh well! I don't want to mess with crimping any more wires (I do that all day at work, hehe).

You won't be disappointed if you get Magnecor 8.5 or 10mm. They both have the same internal wire windings and only the outer insulation thickness is different. They will stand up to a lot of heat, check them out.

Try Red Armstrong. I think he sells some for the hot air cars. They are inexpensive and fit very well. I first set lasted 7 years and I replaced them due to corrosion. Still went 11.4's on them. Thay are about $23.

you can buy some good wires for a very nice price off Kirbans web page, specially cut for our cars
the link is
http://www.kirbanperformance.com/
look under ignition and fuel parts
i think they go for $50

alot better then ordering some and finding out they are for an intercooled Buick, half the peopel that will sell you wires dont even know the hotairs exist lol

later man
brian:D