please help unable to control boost

black magic

Black Magic
i just put a new settup on my 87 GN, im running a 3in lt1 maf with translator gen 2, with an extender chip, a ta49 turbo (garret housing), 46 mm external wastegate from gn1 performance, im running 43 lb 009 injectors the lightning limetops, and a walboro 340 fuel pump with hotwire kit.

i was told with this settup that the external wastegate on the down pipe will not be able to control boost i have a boost controller just wondering if anybody has ever heard of this problem car runs and drives fine otherwise, happens around 3000 rpm. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED MY NUMBER IS (631-387-3561)

was told, finally got car together now im having issues not sure if its the boost control issue though

im driving around and i gradually get to like 8 lbs of boost then around 10 i think it spikes motor like shutters and shows little bit of knock

if i floor it the motor just like gurggles and the turbo shutter, runs, revs fine in park with no load

post the chip number and all the settings in the Gen2, also post the Gen-2 software version.

any trouble codes?

Is the check engine light coming on at all?

I have a GN1 external gate. Brand new. I could never get the pipe to work correctly. Took it off and put my Terry Houston back on. It's buried in my parts somewhere.:rolleyes:

ok sytem sttings.
-mainscale- 5.0
-v-out1-0.000
-v-out2-0.000
-afterstart-0.5
-lo load pt-32.5
-mi load pt-100.1
-hi load pt-143.0
-f out max-0
-maflim tps-0.000
-maf limit-0.0
-maf/krpm-0.0
-tps enrich-0.20
-tps decay-0.30
-idle flow-12.0
-offidle fuel-3.0
CONFIGURE SELECT
-maf input-3'' maf lt1
-maf output- gn ext/pro
-rpm/engine- 6 cyl
-displacement-3.80
-load source- use maf/rpm
-wideband 02- aem wideband
-aux log mode- no aux log
-v-out1 mode- spark advance
-v-out2 mode- use setpoint

chip number is- GSJX4AOGA
not sure of gen 2 software?
thats everything thankyou bob

Hopefully you have a non stock boost gauge to read. If you don't, get one.
Connect the wastegate directly to the compressor port. It will spool very slow but will help you find out what pressure the wastegate is set at and if it functions correctly.
To get an initial gate setting , take the gate adjustment screw all the way out, turn back in till you feel it touch the top of the diaphragm, then go 1/2 turn more, lock down.
Try a run and see if you are able to go full throttle. ( on a long street like the highway on ramp)
If you're bog does not go away, you probably have some type of fuel control or spark problem. ( like bad TPS or other)
Leave the gate setting there when you reconnect your boost controller. The controller determines the gate open pressure. You can tweak the gate set screw little by little to maintain 14-15 (91 octane)

86 T-type modified
86 T-type. Lightly modified

Why do you have the mainscale at -5.0?
Post up you low, mid and high settings as well through the rpm ranges.
As far as GEN2 Rev number like Bob asked. When you turn teh key of see what the display says on teh GEN2 there will be a number post that up...that is the #.

Yes the Terry Houston works fine. I was looking for a better way to control boost. Had hopes it would be the GN1 External Gate. It just wouldn't work. I could have cut the downpipe up and reworked it. Just didn't feel like taking the time or cutting up a new downpipe.

car has boost, knock, and wide band gauge settup, with scan master and gen 2. mainscale is set at 5.0 not -5.0, im going to check the car in a half hour will post results then

it has an external wastgate so there is no adjustment screw only the manual turbonetics boost controller

Things to check
TPS- with car off, key on, watch reading and slowly press gas to floor, look for drop outs
Fuel Vs Boost- look for vacuum leaks on fuel regulator circuit. Test regulator. Check hoses and nipples. if you can get a hold of a external fuel gauge that would be best. Your fuel pressure should increase as boost increases 1 to 1. 10 psi boost should increase fuel pressure 10 psi ( over vacuum off setting )
You can also test the regulator with out driving by powering the fuel pump and put 10 psi on the regulator. Power the fuel pump with battery powered to the test port wire behind the AC compressor/ alternator.
For the air source use a regulated air compressor line. Or a rigged bike pump.
You should see you're fuel pressure increase with boost

86 T-type modified
86 T-type. Lightly modified

it has an external wastgate so there is no adjustment screw only the manual turbonetics boost controller
If you have the GN1 down with the built in 46mm external waste gate, the allen head set screw to unjust the spring pressure is right on top with a locking nut.