Planned GNTTYPE outage ...

kenmosher

Whoosh!
Starting Friday 2/25/05 the GNTTYPE.org website and discussion group will be down for a few days.

The site is moving to a new facility with a bigger feed (full T1) and it will involve physically moving the box and getting all the new routers set up (and the GNTTYPE IPs rerouted).

We won't have the new IPs until Friday and the T1 won't be provisioned until Monday. Worst case, the new line will be up by March 2nd (but hopefully a lot sooner!)

Thanks!!

Last time gnttype went down, we all sat around looking up specs for our engines:rolleyes: Thanks for all your hard work.

Thanks for the update Ken, a great site and a extremely important resource for all of us. :)

Thanks for the heads up Ken! Glad to hear GNTTYPE is getting some hardware improvements :D

I couldn't possibly count how many times gnttype has helped me figure something out. :cool: :cool: :cool:

PROGRESS!!!! :D

Scott finally got the right person at SBC to provision the new IP for the boxes and he's thinking he might get the site online tonight for testing. Assuming it all goes as planned, he'll repoint the DNS and we'll start seeing GNTTYPE back up tomorrow/the next day.

It's the typical crap ... services promised and not delivered, but you have to wade thru a pile of customer service and tech help types to finally convince them that they screwed it up.

SO ... hopefully everything will be back up by the end of the week! :biggrin:

kenmosher said:
PROGRESS!!!! :D

Scott finally got the right person at SBC to provision the new IP for the boxes and he's thinking he might get the site online tonight for testing. Assuming it all goes as planned, he'll repoint the DNS and we'll start seeing GNTTYPE back up tomorrow/the next day.

It's the typical crap ... services promised and not delivered, but you have to wade thru a pile of customer service and tech help types to finally convince them that they screwed it up.

SO ... hopefully everything will be back up by the end of the week! :biggrin:

yup. it took SBC 6 months to get our DSL working :eek: :eek:

here in Richardson, Tx we have what SBC refers to as "fiber to the curb". you'd think that meant blazing fast Internet access, but based on my experiences with SBC, it means, "we spent tons of money on installing a new technology but we have no idea how to make it work." :mad:

over that sixth month period, I had literally countless conversations that went something like...

(me) "hello, I'd like to check on the status of my DSL order"
(SBC)"...what's your phone number sir?....I'm sorry sir I have no recored of that phone number in our system. who do you have your home phone service with?"
(me) "well, the bills I've been getting for the last four years say 'SBC'! and I placed this order X months ago!"
(SBC)"I'm sorry sir, are you sure you placed the order with SBC?"
(me, fighting the urge to throw the phone through a wall)"look, I go through this everytime I call, it's in the system! we have fiber to the curb and I believe our account is listed in a different database."
(SBC) *long silence*..."sir, I'm not sure who handles those accounts, is this for a business?"

anyway, I could go on and on. it was really rediculous and that was just getting them to come to my house to setup the hardware!! once they did that, it took them several more trips to the house to make it actually work. unfortunately I have to go through a similar process whenever we have any "issues" with the service. I won't even go into that, but you simply wouldn't believe the BS we have to go through with SBC. They *STILL* have a very difficult time finding any information on our account - but the bill sure shows up on time!!! :mad:

/rant mode off