Piston to Cylinder clearances

TD2593

Grumpy
What are most of you guys running for piston to cylinder clearances for both Hypereutectics and Cast piston on the turbo 6's ?

On the engines I've done with stock/+.030" OE pistons, I shoot for .0017".

By the book, here are the clearances:

Top Land: .046 in. - .056 in
Skirt Top: .0008 in. - .0020 in
Skirt Bottom: .0013 in. - .0035 in

I can't remember what the TRW [forged] set I did were set up for, except that I went for the median clearance spec. That engine has about 15,000 miles, and a BUNCH of low-11/high-10 second passes on it...still running strong. :)

It is always smart to not try to reinvent the wheel and finish bore or platue hone to whatever final size you want meaning .030 over = .030 over period... and try and not to finish bore out anymore more or less to get clearance with a piston... Any quality makers like CP, WISECO, JE, ROSS ect.... have put countless hours into research and R&D into piston design. The smartest thing you can do is tell them your application and what your final bore size will be and put those puppies in there! It is always smart to check the final product (piston wise) and MAKE SURE you measure the piston where the manufacturer tells you too becuase due to differing material thicknesses and the taper that exists in the piston from the head to the skirt, and it is the same size that they specified!

As far as clearances go, just put them in... because there is no-way anyone is smarter that the people who designed and manufatured the piston in the first place ;)