Piston rings opinions

Martin U

I pulled my engine to do head gaskets and then the pistons just to look at the condition of the bearings.. rod bearings look fine. BUT one of the thin rings on the total seal rings looked tweaked, bent, or some thing not quite right. I might have done this removing pistons Bores looked fine, maybe could use a de-glazing.
Might I be able to order just the one bad ring from total seal? If not what are the best rings to run if I decide to change them?
I hate to pull the girdle just to look at the main bearings to see if they are ok..should I anyway. I have new king bearings in hand just in case.
ALL opinions wanted.
Marty

Rings

I wouldve just used the speed pro rings that came with the piston kit. People have had problems the total seals never sealing , dont know why....

Not may folks use Gapless rings that I know. I know a guy that bought the double-throwdown-superwizzy-best-thing-since-sliced-bread gapless TOP rings and they didn't last 20 minutes. The thin ring of the top gapless went limp like a noodle. Most top builders claim the the gapless second causes more problems then they help. They tend to trap gasses between the top and gapless second, causing ring flutter. Total Seal NON gapless are nice rings though.

rings-long

Well I purchased the block with a girdle all set up from a reputable dealer that used it for a mock up to show.. I twisted his arm for the pistons (trw) and he threw in the rings, and a few other pieces. bore and hone was done. it was well done , so I couldn't for that price.
It fan like a top from the very first firing..I had to break it in for the first time.
No smoke ,oil use ect. I'm very happy with it.Has seen 30lbs boot more than one time. Hot oil press 25+.
I was wanted to see the interior shape of it. You can see my build in my sig.
Back to the rings.. What are the best, most reliable and safest rings to try this time.
PS I never had one problem with the total seal. But I'm looking for advice from those that went before me. It is a +.03 trw pistons. and the best of anything I could afford at the time.
I would like a engine that is sturdy in the long road, more than the fastest i.e delecate. I'll need brand ,part#'s and should I break the glaze.
my builder (MORE POWER COMSTOCK Park Mi) said leave the crank alone because it seems to be just fine and I did such a good job of sealing it. Never had any leaks ect.
I think I bent the ring personally.
Marty
Ps-PS I have new set of FEDERAL MOGAL #216E434K-30 The problem I have is I only have is I only have 5 rings that are marked with pink paint on one end of the gap. the other 6 fave both red & pink on both sides of the gap. Brand new....What do I have and can I get 1 ring? Are these good rings?
Thanks for the help.
Marty

Ive used total seal gapless rings (both types) over 600hp with success. Those talking about hurting these rings have much bigger issues. They dont make more power than conventional rings. I typically use conventional speed pro rings and i file fit them.

I don't believe J & E actually makes their own rings. I am pretty sure that speed pro & total seal are the only manufacturers of rings for our motors. You may find rings packaged by others but that is exaxtly what you are getting.

Exactly

I don't believe J & E actually makes their own rings. I am pretty sure that speed pro & total seal are the only manufacturers of rings for our motors. You may find rings packaged by others but that is exaxtly what you are getting.

I believe J & E rings to be Total Seal.

Or

OK it's Total seal conventional moly rings-file fit.

I've had good luck with Speed Pro plasma moly file to fit. Notice that if you buy file to fit in say, 3.825 for a 3.820 bore that the oil rings will not be 3.825 but will be 3.820. The 2 top rings will be 3.825--not the oil rings. I DO NOT like a large oil ring gap. I prefer to go no bigger than .026.

OK, if I order them from a vendor will I get what I want?
Any Part # for the speed pro & total seals? I hate playing cat and mouse on line ordering parts.
What should the gap on both of these ring sets,? I going to TRY to keep boost at about 20 lbs. Some one told me the ta-49 runs out of steam at 18# lbs.
Would that hold true with my set up. Heads and intake willl be matched to FP1200 gaskets. I just trying to be careful.in my parts choices. I build the first engine andb had no problems untill an alt died and did stuoid stuff to my feed to the injectors, causung the HG problems
LOT are you Lee Thomson. Jamie Wallcot tells me she learned alot from you.
This car will ALWAYS be a hot air no matter what.
I'll be in touch,
Again PART NUMBERS
Mart Urbanski
urbanm84@sbcglobal.net

What should the gap on both of these ring sets ?

On a 3.800---3.830 bore I like .017 top
.021 second
.024--.026 oil ring

LOT are you Lee Thomson.

Yes.

I've had good luck with Speed Pro plasma moly file to fit. Notice that if you buy file to fit in say, 3.825 for a 3.820 bore that the oil rings will not be 3.825 but will be 3.820. The 2 top rings will be 3.825--not the oil rings. I DO NOT like a large oil ring gap. I prefer to go no bigger than .026.

Ive noticed this also and agree with your gaps.

How much stock is typical left on file fit rings?

What is all this info on plateau honing? good or bad? All I can find is the dingle berry hones. I think I'll stay with total seal conventional rings . Any part # forn3.830 rings. I'm In part # over load right now.
One more thing cam bearing puller, who has the correct one My name is marty and I'm a tool Junkie. Sad,sad story.
Merry Christmas to all.
Mart

File fit rings are usually .005" tighter. Any manufacturers part number is fine as long as they are moly. I use a long screw driver to knock out the cam bearings. Tool Junkies are cool, especially when they live next door to me.;) I only buy tools that I will NEED to have. (and I NEED to have everyone ever made.) I start sweating everytime I drive past a Snap-On truck.