pics of my HU installed

no they are plenty apart. You can actually run cables right next to power wire w/o probs (even twist them together), its just a "precautionary" thing to run them seperate.

Your noise could be several things. Have you done mods to the ignition in your car? maybe it doesn't have RFI supression. It could be a ground loop. It could be noise entering into the system via the wires to the amp. It could be a bad amp or bad head unit. Improperly adjusted gains on amps can cause engine whine.

To check if its the amp, just unplug your inputs (are you using RCA or spkr wire from the head?) and turn on the stereo, if you still here the engine whine then the problem is with your amp. If the noise goes away then either the wires to the amp are causing the prob or the head is.

well without the amp last week the ignition noise was not there so its a fair assumption it *is* the amp. Im gonna play with the gains to see if I can get it to go away. Its not really bad, I can't hear it while driving only sittin still with the radio turned all the way down.. Its not an expensive amp so Im sure its probably the problem.. Thanks!

Frank,
Did you use frame or body ground? You possibly have a ground loop if you are using body ground, I have always used frame ground with a 4 AWG cable with no problems of engine noise. Since you are running the one amp, you can use the same size ground as your power cable and be fine. Body ground will work but most likely cause ground loops in most systems. If it is grounded to body, try the frame but make sure to grind off any paint, grease, dirt, etc......

yup Iam using body ground.. hmm. Wheres the best place to get a frame ground from inside the trunk?? Thanks for the info!!

I drilled a little hole under the rear seat that my ground and power wires go through and bolt to the frame (power runs in the frame). Be sure to either put a grommet on it or once the wire has been pulled to put silicon or glue all around the hole on each side to seal it off and also keep the wire from moving around and cutting into the jacket.

This is another way!

Originally posted by FlyinGN
yup Iam using body ground.. hmm. Wheres the best place to get a frame ground from inside the trunk?? Thanks for the info!!

If you dont want to pull back seat, you can do something similar to mine. I drilled a hole in my spare tire well big enough to take a 4 AWG and grommet and then grounded to a bolt already in frame after I removed it and used a dremmel tool to clean surface down to bare metal. I had to use a little WD-40 to slide cable through grommet so it wouldnt pull it out of hole. It makes for a tight fit.

thanks again audio..

About cd rw's on factory hu's. I know mine (2002 Camaro) hu plays rw's just fine:)

Put mine in today...I wish I would've known about the old to new adapter before buying my Alpine....which I never liked. Alway's liked the one in my buddies 2000 C5. I got one out of a 2000 SS. Can I add the factory CD changer to it without alot of hassle? I noticed some unused plugs when I put the adapter in.

I believe that you can Chris.. Its a great radio huh? Looks like factory in the dash too huh? Im real happy..