pics of my HU installed

FlyinGN

all show no go
here are a few shots of the 2002 Camaro Monsoon head unit installed..
P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

You did a good job Frank and it looks great :) . Did you ever get the amp fired up yet?

well I took off today to do the amp but its been rainin all day :(. I have to pull the car out of the garage to open both doors. Will start it tomarrow

Monsoon

1. Since this is a GM unit, does it require mods for installation or
can you use the old brackets like most other GM cd & cassette
units?
2. Is this completely self contained or there an external amp?
3. What is the price for everything needed?
Thanks

Re: Monsoon

Originally posted by Dr. D
1. Since this is a GM unit, does it require mods for installation or
can you use the old brackets like most other GM cd & cassette
units?
2. Is this completely self contained or there an external amp?
3. What is the price for everything needed?
Thanks

1- brackets are close on a new HU from a Camaro or S series truck. All you have to do it to drill a new mounting hole in the mounting tabs already on the car. The ONLY problem is that one of the holes for the spring clips of the trim plate that goes over the radio is covered by the new radio tabs so you have to cut off that spring clip plastic clip holder ... no bid deal there are 4 others to hold on the radio trim plate

2- self contained. All you need is a 21 pin to old style connector adaptor that you can get at numerous places for about $25. But im adding an external 4 channel amp.

3- I paid $200 for the radio on Ebay.

Monsoon

Thanks for the info, I like what you're doing to keep the original GM look. A couple more........

1. For the external amp, which lines out of the deck are you using
for signal?
2. Are you using an external switch for on/off or are you using the
antenna terminal to accomplish that function?
Thanks.

Re: Monsoon

Originally posted by Dr. D
Thanks for the info, I like what you're doing to keep the original GM look. A couple more........

1. For the external amp, which lines out of the deck are you using
for signal?
2. Are you using an external switch for on/off or are you using the
antenna terminal to accomplish that function?
Thanks.

1- speaker level outputs for the external amp..

2- Im gonna use the antenna power for a remote turn on..

Re: Re: Monsoon

2- Im gonna use the antenna power for a remote turn on.. [/B][/QUOTE]NO amp when listening to the Cd player,since there is no antenna need,:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but as soon as you put the unit on to play the cd the antenna gets power and goes up wether you listen to cd or the radio..

FlyinGN,
You pay for parts, wiring, shipping and I will build you a switch with relay or just a switch to turn off antenna when you want to listen to CD, that way you save wear and tear on your antenna.

hmmm. If ya turn off the antenna my amp will not come on.. Its fed off the pink power lead to the antenna.. right???
If ya can do it let me know cause the car is all apart now anyway. Its easy to get to the antenna lead now. :) The amp is not done yet. Im not that fast.. + a few guys stopped and startin talkin to me about the GN.. Even a 5.0 Mustang owner loved it..:) he stayed for a 1/2 hour.. lol

Actually if you want to simplify it, go to Radioshack and pick you up a nice on/off toggle switch for a couple of bucks and run some extra wire and put it between the orange wire to break circuit. I was going to do the relay and switch combo which will basically do the same thing but cost less (I know.....overkill) ;) .

The relay is in the right side of dash and has a pink and orange wire going to it, just make sure to pull fuse before cutting wire to install the wires from switch.

Monsoon

Audiowizard, thanks for the idea on a switch inbetween the CD player and the relay. This will be great for the antenna.

No problem Dr. D :) . A couple of bucks for a switch and wire is worth putting in to save the wear and tear on antenna. repacing it is a pain :mad: .

UPDATE. Got the amp hooked up and it wails! Since I have no subs the bas is not as I woudl like but its sounds GREAT!! Im am happy with the Volfenhag amp and and Camaro hu. The only problem is that I can hear a lil ignition noise:( I have the amp power lead in the frame outside the car and the speakers wires are inside the car run down the middle. Maybe not far nuff apart?? any ideas??