"PET" HUMMINGBIRD IN GARAGE?

Nick Micale

Tech Advisor
Staff member
The past week when I would take a break in the garage, I would be visited by a humming bird, sometime only a foot or so away from my face?

Today I realized he, or she, has built a nest on an electrical cord. We do have our share of Humming birds in our area, but to have them nest in our garage has me amazed!

I guess the garage door stop will need to be adjusted to give them 24 hour access?

This has nothing at all to do with GN's, but some time life presents us with a gift we can enjoy, and this experience is a first for me so I thought I would share it!

Please focus on the nest, not the background, at least the Humming bird thinks I am friendly! :)

HUMMING BIRD.jpg

Thats really cool. Those birds only nest near friendly environments nick, disregard the sign everyone!!!

I feed them w/ a commercial nectar mix. They will come to the feeder while I'm holding it!
They are really territorial little stinkers. I have 1 that is the "king". He sits in a tree, waiting for any others to approach the feeder... Then, it's dive bombing time!
He will hover in my face, within inches of my glasses. I think he sees a reflection, and is investigating.
REALLY cool birds!
The longer I'm above ground, the more I appreciate animals...Many are nicer than many people.:rolleyes:
Living in the country sure has it's benefits:cool:
The armadillos keep my grub worm population down.
The red tail hawk terrorizes my neighbors chickens.:D
The deer keep my back yard partially mowed.
The giant, pilaeted woodpecker keeps the carpenter bees at bay.. Albeit, at the expense of the rafters in my lean to!!
The coyotes keep me awake at nite!

Life's good!(y)

Sometimes they can be aggressive when you are close to their nest. I had one come at my eyes once.

I had a close encounter with a hummingbird at my side door. We hang a flowering plant there in the summer. I was coming in one day and got buzzed my a giant bumble bee. I realized it was a hummingbird when I noticed the colors. I just stood there and it went on doing its thing. It was fascinating to see it hover and back up.

I feed them w/ a commercial nectar mix. They will come to the feeder while I'm holding it!
They are really territorial little stinkers. I have 1 that is the "king". He sits in a tree, waiting for any others to approach the feeder... Then, it's dive bombing time!
He will hover in my face, within inches of my glasses. I think he sees a reflection, and is investigating.
REALLY cool birds!
The longer I'm above ground, the more I appreciate animals...Many are nicer than many people.:rolleyes:
Living in the country sure has it's benefits:cool:
The armadillos keep my grub worm population down.
The red tail hawk terrorizes my neighbors chickens.:D
The deer keep my back yard partially mowed.
The giant, pilaeted woodpecker keeps the carpenter bees at bay.. Albeit, at the expense of the rafters in my lean to!!
The coyotes keep me awake at nite!

Life's good!(y)
Chuck , that sounds like my house except for the armadillos and the woodpeckers are in the woods . We have a feeder hanging off our front porch and when they start swarming around it in the dead of summer it's amazing . We have a "king" bird also who sits in a tree about 100' away and if you watch closely you can see him take off and swoop in on the other birds . I put a wire tie on the wire that the feeder hangs from so he can sit right above and guard it .

IMO. it's things like this that really matter in life.
could even change images of some people.

Hell even humming birds like Buicks? That bird has class Nick!

IMO. it's things like this that really matter in life.
could even change images of some people.

You are right on with what you said, and as "consumed" as I am with turbo Buicks, other things like family, friends and enjoying life in general is really more important, and glad to see many others here like you that also value the important things in life, thanks! :)

Has that little Hummer started crapping on your Buick yet?

My parents used to have a Bat that would return to live in the attic of their garage every season. We would find the droppings & insect wings/parts on the trunk of the car.

I can tell you with confidence, she's sitting on an egg.

It's really cool she picked your garage because now you will have two around the house and they will be different colors....

The only thing I can advise is that you don't want to turn the garage lights on after they have been off for more than an hour or so when it is already dark out. Momma bird will freak out and try to fly away, forever.

There is still a nest at my house for one that was set in a can light on the back porch. It is still there with an egg sitting in it after 3 years, ergo my comment about lights........

We have 7 that now inhabit the back yard and they are honestly some of the coolest birds I've ever encountered.

They are very territorial, but they populate an area with their own offspring and seem to "get along" with the newer parts of the family if the area is big enough. We started with two hanging around and then watched them incubate 12 eggs. 6 of the babies stuck around the yard, the others hang out in the yard to the north. They cheep, cheep, cheep at each other all the time, you can actually hear the difference between an "it's all good" cheep and a "you're getting too close" cheep.......

They will kick a mocking bird or blackbirds' ass in a heart beat.

Last edited:
I can tell you with confidence, she's sitting on an egg.

It's really cool she picked your garage because now you will have two around the house and they will be different colors...........

You are correct Guy, appears she is sitting on eggs this AM. This is the female as she is mainly grey, and the other one has colors, and is a bit larger.

I can be in the garage without her flying off, but other people will cause her to leave.

This is a great way for me to relax when taking a short break from the all the Buicks here!

HUMMING BIRD 3.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

We chickens tryin' to sleep and you bust in
And hobble, hobble hobble hobble with your chin”
“There ain't nobody here but us chickens
There ain't nobody here at all
You're stompin' around and shakin' the ground
You're kickin' up an awful dust
We chicken's tryin' to sleep and you bust in
And hobble, hobble hobble hobble, it's a sin”

Enjoy!!!

Last edited:

REALLY cool birds!

(y)

My mother used to make her own nectar. She would take a distilled water and sugar mixture and boil it, making about a gallon at a time. She had several feeders around the yard. It would depend on her feeder but the ones with a red tint or a red bottom seemed to be the most popular.

They will get used to people being around. I used to stand by the feeders and hold a finger out. They would sit on my finger while they ate. They are amazing to watch.

You gotta take that "Assholes Garage" sign down you big softie.

That sign is a reminder of my automotive retail shops when I had to deal with so many jerks that were never able to be pleased?

It is my personal reminder that now I get to only deal with turbo Buick owners, who are the best in the car world! :)

P.S. This includes TTA and hybrid owners as well!

My son just came by and I mentioned the humming bird has been in the nest for a few days, and he asked if there was an egg?

Since it is too high to see in there, he just took a picture with his phone.

I am excited that we soon will have a baby bird if all goes well! :)

EGG.jpg