PCV relocation

neilb

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share a simple mod I did to reduce smoke under boost. I relocated my PCV valve into the passenger valve cover using a small breather element in the stock PCV location, a PCV grommet from a chev truck (1997ish), a catch can, and some 3/8" rubber line. Works great, and now I can go full boost without being embarassed. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 178
I hope you have another open breather on the driver side valve cover. The crankcase needs good low restriction free flowing ventilation when you go wide open throttle and the engine starts to generate some real blow-by volume.

I dont see how this would remove smoke under boost. There is no flow through the pcv under boost. It can only leak air into the crank case. As already mentioned you need a lot of crankcase ventilation or the pressure will force oil out every spot it can. This includes blowing out gaskets and seals. The factory intake gasket acts as a baffle to prevent oil from being slung into the pcv. This setup doesnt have that and spray from the rocker arms will land directly into the pcv valve and be sucked in as soon as there is vacuum behind the throttle blade.

The trouble i saw with a no pcv system and big breathers on a STREET car was engine (crank case fumes) at at stop sign seeping into drivers compartment ..as with a pcv it is sucking and reburning it..

That's a great idea but like mentioned 2 open breathers are important. What about drilling a second port for the pcv? You could still run 2 breathers and plug the original pcv hole. The valve covers have the provision.

Your right about case emissions. That stuff is nasty. There is no ill effect to running a pcv if it's working properly. Like Bison said they only work when in vacuum anyways. Why people would want to plug it and smell the stuff is beyond me. Once in boost the motor does not use it or know it's even there.

RL

I blocked mine recently, i could not find one that would'nt leak by and they would leak pretty good.

Thanks for the interest everyone. I installed a small breather into the stock PCV location (the breather you can see beside the upper plenum) and I am running a breather on the driver's side valve cover as well. As for deleting the PCV and using just breathers.... I tried that and could not drive the car anywhere with the windows up, or even sitting at an idle... Way too much fumes, burning my eyes etc (no smoke though). No PCV is fine for a race car, but this is a daily driven car. Any oil that could get "sucked up" by the pcv was taken into consideration.. hence the catch can. I've driven the car prob about 1000miles since the change up, an the catch can is still empty, and the upper plenum and throttle blade still look clean. As for why this works, I have no idea, all I can say is that it smoked like a SOB, and now it doesn't.