PCV Catch Can

1KWIKSIX

Installed dual AMW Catch cans set up last summer....one for the PCV system and another for the pasenger side valve cover. Wanted to eliminate oil from conatminating the intercooler and also the throttle body.

Well today I Decided to check my catch cans to see if there was much in there. Have driven about 1,000kms (600miles) since the install last summer. Mostly street and highway driving.

To my surprise the passenger valve cover catch can was empty, dry as a bone.

However, I found about 3/8" depth of oil sitting in the bottom of the PCV catch can :eek:.....(It's hard to see on the screw driver tip)...but I was surprised at how much was in there......guess it's doing its job. It's easy to drain with out removing the cans as they have a small drain **** valve on the bottom and will place a small container under it to drain it out. Will check again in another 1,000kms.

dave

Attachments

• AMW catch cans 005.jpg
    AMW catch cans 005.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 959
  • Dual Catch Cans 002.jpg
    Dual Catch Cans 002.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 847
  • Dual Catch Cans 001.jpg
    Dual Catch Cans 001.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 793
  • catchcan.jpg
    catchcan.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,596
Why??

Thats actually not much. Mine fills completely up every 2-3 tanks of gas.

I checked my car last night and found a black throttle body & oil on the vacuum block gasket.

What would cause the PCV to pull oil out of the engine? Seems like the separator tanks are treating the symptom not the problem.

What would cause the PCV to pull oil out of the engine?

The PCV is in a bad spot near the turbo drain, there are some custom options for tweaking the valley pan er something along those lines to divert the oil from being sucked up

The PCV is in a bad spot near the turbo drain, there are some custom options for tweaking the valley pan er something along those lines to divert the oil from being sucked up

Makes sense to me. I have rather high oil pressure so I probably have more oil pooling on the valley pan than normal. I am starting to get a little blue smoke at start-up also which may be from oil in the intake tract.

Sounds like a catch can is on the list of things I need now. :(

I made one for about 12 bucks, if you can find the small propane "coleman" tanks, they work great, I fiddled with the other size

new6.jpg

IMO good engine vacuum along with open breathers in the valve covers cause too much volume to move through the pcv on decel and idle. The high volume causes the oil to get sucked up like a shop vac into the intake.

couple things you can do.

Run a catch can.

Relocate the pcv to valve cover.

Eliminate the pcv all together. ( I do not recommend this)

I have an idea to help with this problem but I need to develope and patten before I talk too much. ;)

IMO good engine vacuum along with open breathers in the valve covers cause too much volume to move through the pcv on decel and idle. The high volume causes the oil to get sucked up like a shop vac into the intake.

Hmm... I also get some oil drips out of my oil fill tube breather. Maybe I will take this off and put a regular cap on it to reduce the volume of air available into the PCV.

Hmm... I also get some oil drips out of my oil fill tube breather. Maybe I will take this off and put a regular cap on it to reduce the volume of air available into the PCV.

Not so fast, it's ok to restrict air coming in but air has to still be able to get out and get out fast. It's a catch 22.

Installed dual AMW Catch cans set up last summer....one for the PCV system and another for the pasenger side valve cover. Wanted to eliminate oil from conatminating the intercooler and also the throttle body.

Well today I Decided to check my catch cans to see if there was much in there. Have driven about 1,000kms (600miles) since the install last summer. Mostly street and highway driving.

To my surprise the passenger valve cover catch can was empty, dry as a bone.

However, I found about 3/8" depth of oil sitting in the bottom of the PCV catch can :eek:.....(It's hard to see on the screw driver tip)...but I was surprised at how much was in there......guess it's doing its job. It's easy to drain with out removing the cans as they have a small drain **** valve on the bottom and will place a small container under it to drain it out. Will check again in another 1,000kms.

dave

With that design it looks like the tube where the air comes in goes almost to the bottom. What happens if the oil pools higher than the tube? Or am I missing something?

AMW (Accurate Machine Works) Catch Cans

Hi Mark,

The picture posted shows only a conceptual design of a catch can.

Here's some pics of the actual AMW unit.

You'll notice that there really is no "tube", extending to the bottom of the can on the inlet tract, but instead a short screened secton that contains some sort of stainless shavings that allow the oil to condense and this extends only part way into the can. Does not go all the way to the bottom. Lots of area remains between this and the ID of the can. The outlet connection is near the top of the can and there are grooves / ridges machined on the inside of the can from top to bottom that help keep the oil / vapours from climbing out into the outlet connection.

Seems to work really well............am pleased with them both. Only a little bit of oil in the PCV catch can...the second catch can I installed for the valve cover breather doesn't seem to get any oil.

Attachments

• OCC001.jpg
    OCC001.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 594
  • 1239299817423837822337.jpg
    1239299817423837822337.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 560
  • OCC003.jpg
    OCC003.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 539
  • HMS%20Oi2.jpg
    HMS%20Oi2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 562
Flow Rate needed?

Hey guys I was looking at one of these catch cans but they seem to be really high priced and the ones you guys have listed in the thread arent to be found. Cant find a vendor with them in stock.

So I see quite a few people use different things people use moisture / oil seperators from air compressors.

My question is what kind of flow rating would one need for a Separator?

I am looking at using either of these but the oil separator is rated at 16cfm. The moisture seperator at 100cfm at 150psi.

Trying to figure out what would be sufficient since the price is roughly the same for either one.....

Eastwood Air Compressor Water Moisture Separator Filter: eBay Motors (item 360285399269 end time Aug-04-10 23:54:40 PDT)

NEW Eastwood Air Compressor Oil Separator Filter: eBay Motors (item 360287387163 end time Aug-11-10 12:00:35 PDT)

I made mine from 1in copper tubing for around $5 Ill get a pic for you tomarrow.

Accurate Machine Works PCV Catch Cans

Hey guys I was looking at one of these catch cans but they seem to be really high priced and the ones you guys have listed in the thread arent to be found. Cant find a vendor with them in stock.

So I see quite a few people use different things people use moisture / oil seperators from air compressors.

My question is what kind of flow rating would one need for a Separator?

I am looking at using either of these but the oil separator is rated at 16cfm. The moisture seperator at 100cfm at 150psi.

Trying to figure out what would be sufficient since the price is roughly the same for either one.....

Eastwood Air Compressor Water Moisture Separator Filter: eBay Motors (item 360285399269 end time Aug-04-10 23:54:40 PDT)

NEW Eastwood Air Compressor Oil Separator Filter: eBay Motors (item 360287387163 end time Aug-11-10 12:00:35 PDT)

These arent' cheap....think I paid around $160. each for AMW's catch cans.
However, you get what you pay for.....these are a great piece of aluminum machine work that function properly for their application as a properly engineered PCV Catch Can. Am very happy with how mine look and more importantly how they function.

Delivery was not very good however and I had to settle for the natural aluminum colour catch can.......really wanted black which wasn't available from stock......so had to get the plain aluminum ones and send them out to be black anodized......more $ again.....but they do look nice.....
Also had a stainless bracket fab'd up and bent to hold the double catch cans on passenger inner fender.....sent that out for powder coating and .....that added up $ again.

Accurate Machine Works

Got my AMW catch cans from Haney Motorsports...think they're in Arizona. You can reach them at:

Mustang & Roush Performance Parts and Accessories
(623) 932-0443 sales@haneymotorsport.com

AMW also show these are available from:
VAST Performance........
V A S T Performance

Home made Catch Can's

I had the same problem and tried everything to lower my oil pressure after my new engine build. My oil pressure was so high it pushed the dipstick up and oil was coming out onto the header. I did correct the problem, which was my new oil pump. I had the wrong size spring in. Needless to say here is a picture of my homemade catch cans.

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 446

couple things you can do.

Run a catch can.

Relocate the pcv to valve cover.

Eliminate the pcv all together. ( I do not recommend this)

I have an idea to help with this problem but I need to develope and patten before I talk too much. ;)
Run it from a valve cover!:eek: Holy crap, why have'nt I thought of doing that. Sounds like a good idea. Would'nt I need to delete that one side breather though so it could pull vapors from the crankcase?

i dont know much abount engines and i have a 86 regal limited but i want to make it into a grand national with the turbocharged engine i just want to know if its possible to turbocharge my engine and if it is possible what do i need

I had the same problem and tried everything to lower my oil pressure after my new engine build. My oil pressure was so high it pushed the dipstick up and oil was coming out onto the header. I did correct the problem, which was my new oil pump. I had the wrong size spring in. Needless to say here is a picture of my homemade catch cans.
Your low on alky.:biggrin: