Passed NC emissions

V6POWER

I moved from FL to NC and have been concerned about passing NC emissions. Well, the concern is over since I just passed NC emissions. :D Standard for HC is 220 and I had 085; standard for CO is 1.20 and I had 0.00. I did put a working cat. converter on the car and I used a Bob Bailey emissions chip. Now I need some track time to see what damage the cat. converter will do to my times.

Do you have a functional EGR and is the test IM-240? If the EGR is functional I am not amazed. Congrats!

EGR is functional and test is just for HC and CO. I wasn't looking for 'amazement', just posting my results. :)

Looks like the test could be BAR90, which is two speed idle in outlying areas or BAR 97 (steady state dyno, emissions tested at 15mph and 25mph) plus an idle test. Congradulations:) . You probably won't keep the emission chip in there, but judging from your readings, it looks a little lean. I have seen our cars read zeros for HC and CO on two speed idle type test. The things that will damage a cat and may affect the flow is misfires (breaks the substate material and either clogs the mufflers or cat, slight misfires that overheat the cat or overly rich mixtures (these over reactions causes the cat to melt internally and plug the cat) and coolant contamination.

It was an idle and 2,500 rpm test. You're correct about running lean and the chip came out as soon as the sticker went in the window.

Two speed idle is a pretty liberal test. Do you think it would pass with your current setup? IMHO it would do pretty well with out any changes.

I agree. You should be able to pass the NC test with the chip and without the CAT. Give it a try. I think that you will be pleased.

TG

TG--I must have a cat. conv. on the car to pass the visual part of the test. It could be gutted but it must be on the car.

I don't know about no cat part, but with the extender chip. As long as you don't detect a excessive sulfur smell, it should be okay. When I first installed a Thrasher chip, as soon as I got to work and the car was idling, I knew right away it was way rich. I grounded the diagnostic link and saw open loop at idle. Then as I accelerated from idle, I noticed it went to closed loop. I emailed to confirm an open loop chip. I also knew I would have problems with CA emissions test, so I switched proms. Now the R93 may be a bit rich, but it passed CA BAR97 test.

Depends on what county you live in. Some don't have emissions testing, just a safety check.

Been in Raleigh for 7 years and have passed with a guttted cat so far.
We have the emission & safety check in Wake Co.

Gary

Gary--Do you use an emissions chip or just your daily chip? Any T-R gatherings in your area or any cruises?

ha ha, we only have safety check in lincoln co. might not be for long.