Parts VS. Performance

StageII86

I was out of these cars for several years and recently jumped ALL back in to them about a year and a half ago. I've had 6 TR's from stock to an on-center S2 build race car and most stages in between.

I have noticed some new parts, some great new tech from some of the original pioneers, and lots of other cool new stuff. While some have taken full advantage and leveraged the progression to really stretch the limits of our platform, it seems most others on average today have more parts, more "build," and obviously more $$$ in a given car but have not gotten much quicker than guys were running back in the 90's/early '00's.

Seems like lots of cars with 10-sec potential parts are in the 12's. I also realize that due to the age/mileage of the cars, more has to be gone through to even get to a good starting point. That said, the average sig of a low-11/high-10 car sure seemed a lot shorter way back when.

NO BALL BREAKING intended here - just curious as to why you all think that is. Or am I just imagining things? My theory is that the fun for some lies in getting the cool parts on to the car versus others who's only end is working what they have to a lower ET. To each his own.

Last edited:
I think it's prob easier to run a number now. Back then guys were using what they could and stretching it. I know for me it's a number. I may never race it. But I want to know it's capable of 10s. I also think with limited dragster these days and all the money guys have into it they rather run safe than run fast. That's my take

I think it's prob easier to run a number now. Back then guys were using what they could and stretching it. I know for me it's a number. I may never race it. But I want to know it's capable of 10s. I also think with limited dragster these days and all the money guys have into it they rather run safe than run fast. That's my take

I agree - but I do want that number. I want to put the combo together, prove it at the track at least a few times, then revert back to street fun.

6262 on a stroker...sounds like a lot of fun.

I am a prime example of what you talking about having only ever turned my setup to 20 pounds of boost and my reasoning is I went through hell when the old motor failed/ getting the one I have now....I NEVER want to have to do that again till many many years from now.

I think most are in the play it safe mode because of how hard it is to find parts etc now compared to then. But then again I was just a tad little guy back then dreaming of having one of these someday. Just seems more ppl were willing to push the envelope "back in the day"

Having the right parts and dialing them in is always better than more or "newer" parts. For what some spend on their low 10 sec stock block car I could build a complete car with a chassis cert good down to 8.50 that will run low 9's without much drama. Or just go LS and be two steps ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk