Part # for the factory/original chip

XFactor

Anyone know the part number for the 1987 factory chip?? Are they expensive when ordered from dealer? Need one.

Xfactor,

Not sure if you need this for emissions or what but I can either make you a copy or I do have at least one original ' 87 ACXA chip.
Drop me a line.

Neal

Isn't 0942ACXA GM part #16178707 the gutted cat chip Buick tried to pawn off on 87's back around 1990?

I missed something

XFactor,

I don't know what that non-sense about a gutted chip is unless it's an attempt at humor. The stock chip is an ACXA chip and I have one if you need it for whatever reason.

Neal

For those of you who weren't around in 80's there were two big recalls involving the turbos. One was recall buletin # 87-C-13 which was the powermaster recall and # 87-C-14 which was nicknamed the gutted cat chip recall. Around 89-90 the EPA went around a bought a bunch of 87 TR's and tested them for emmisions compliance. Over half of them didn't pass. I dont know what the exact number was. Anyway on further examination they found the usuall bolt on items like K&N's, chips and every single car had a test pipe or gutted cat! Thus prompting GM to issue the recall or face stiff penalties for not bringing the 87's up to specs. I drove an 87 with the recalled chip and it drove like a dog. You can guess at what they changed when faced with a bunch of cars with these mods. Boost and total timing are two things I can think of. Part# 16178707 0942ACXA is the recall chip. If it makes a big difference to you try finding #16051877 1878DRL.

Thanks, Eric Fisher

What ya talkin' bout Willis?

Eric,

Every '87 car I've ever worked on recall or not had an ACXA chip.
Just FYI the calibration on the ACXA chip is nearly identical to the '86 chip in respect to timing, boost etc. According to GM the ACXA chip is a California emissions chip and the DRL chip is a Federal emissions chip. I hate to punch a hole in your theory.

Neal

1986:

Federal, California
16060600 - CODE 0602CMW, 7584TK, 7584ATH

1987:

Federal
16051877 - CODE 1878DRL

Federal, California
16070940 - CODE 0942ACXA

I have owned 4, 1987 TRs, 1 as the original owner and 3 as the second owner. ALL have had the ACXA chip.

:D

OK, now I'm confused (nothing new, right?).

It was my understanding that the BBKJ9464 was the smog recall chip.

This is the order I had the files on my spreadsheets.

CMW 0602 (86 Turbo Regals) BTW, this chip came out of my 86 GN, and it WAS NOT a California car.

ACXA 0942 (87 Turbo Regals)

BBKJ 9464 (87 Turbo Regals, late smog recall)

Somebody that actually knows correct my order?

Dave,

I'm with you on this one. I thought and still do think the recall chip is the BBKJ chip. I know the ACXA chip is for "The republic of CA" ;) and the dealer says the DRL is the Federal chip. The CMW chip is for '86 and I've got one of those for my T-Type also. I don't think it will work with 96's do you?

Neal

The 86 GN's had the CMW chip, the 87's had the ACXA, then in 1992, the recall chip fitted to ONLY the 87's was the BBKJ chip. The only variation to these was the GNX who somehow didn't get in on the recall. The original cars that were purchased by the FBI were all fitted with the ACXA chip as far as I know.
-John Spina
http://www.casperselectronics.com

Thanks John, I knew one of you guys that burn chips would have the correct info. I was shooting from the hip. My only paperwork on the recall was a photocopy that hasn't seen the light of day since 92. Who would of thought that someone would ever need a stock chip? BTW I checked with GM and they have 950 ACXA chips stocked in Lansing. What were they thinking?

Originally posted by GNVenom
The 86 GN's had the CMW chip, the 87's had the ACXA, then in 1992, the recall chip fitted to ONLY the 87's was the BBKJ chip. The only variation to these was the GNX who somehow didn't get in on the recall. The original cars that were purchased by the FBI were all fitted with the ACXA chip as far as I know.
-John Spina
http://www.casperselectronics.com
I've read that late 86 cars also got the acxa chip but have no direct proof. My 86 ttype was a California fbi car and had the cmw chip when I got it but who knows if they ran it with a different chip then stuck the cmw in when they sent it to auction. However, I've also read that the 86 fbi cars were regular cars while the 87's were a group purchase with selected changes. One of those changes was supposed to be no speed limit in the chip but if they came with acxa's I guess that's just urban legend?

Dave,

I was Joking about the fact that I actually have a stock chip for my '86 T-Type when I'll never use it again. I figure it won't work with the 96# injectors.

Sorry for the confusion

Neal

P.S Don't tell anyone you can run 96's with the stock ECM. They all think you need a Speed Pro. :)

Originally posted by 750H.P.V6
Dave,

I was Joking about the fact that I actually have a stock chip for my '86 T-Type when I'll never use it again. I figure it won't work with the 96# injectors.

Sorry for the confusion

Neal

P.S Don't tell anyone you can run 96's with the stock ECM. They all think you need a Speed Pro. :)

But of course you can't run 96's with the stock computer, don't you know that by now?? ;)
I still remember that ride you took me on out there on Kearny Villa Rd. that day. My pucker strings were drawn up pretty tight that day I'll tell ya, even with the little MAF dropouts and sputters

Phew :eek: what a rush!