Parasitic draw

gn dennis

I have parasitic draw on the 20 amp fuse for lighter, courtesy lights, radio . How do i test the things on that circuit to find what is causing the draw.
Thanks Dennis

Check to see if the glove box, underhood lamp, or trunk light stay lit when they are closed and should turn off.

Cigar lighter usually just shorts out and blows the fuse not create a draw but check that wire too.

It also powers the footwell lamps and reading/dome lamps make sure they shut off when they are supposed to.

Check to see if the glove box, underhood lamp, or trunk light stay lit when they are closed and should turn off.

Cigar lighter usually just shorts out and blows the fuse not create a draw but check that wire too.

It also powers the footwell lamps and reading/dome lamps make sure they shut off when they are supposed to.
Thank you for responding, I checked those items you mentioned they seam to not be the problem. How do I troubleshoot other things on same fuse. do you use a MM or do it some other way? Could it be a ground issue? Or a fuse link? Thanks Dennis

I assume you used an ammeter to determine the amount of parasitic draw on that fuse?

It also controls the radio memory and radio capacitor since that fuse is live at all times.

Power antenna relay, security indicator, chime module, power door locks, vanity mirror light, and the A/C control head on 1986 GN's with C68 electronic A/C.

Check the lighted vanity mirror first if you have one it may be on...

Also if the radio knob (stock type) is jammed inwards, the clock will remain on at all times and be a draw on the system through that fuse, but you should see the clock on continuously if that were an issue.

I have parasitic draw on the 20 amp fuse for lighter, courtesy lights, radio . How do i test the things on that circuit to find what is causing the draw.
Thanks Dennis

I would unplug one at a time and see if the draw goes away.

Also if the radio knob (stock type) is jammed inwards, the clock will remain on at all times and be a draw on the system through that fuse, but you should see the clock on continuously if that were an issue.
Thanks salvageV6 Those are places to check,do i just start by removing power? or is there a better way? The clock does not stay on all the time. Thanks

Right or wrong this is my procedure. Take positive battery cable off battery, install test lamp in between the battery cable and battery post. Start unplugging things until the light goes dim, like almost not lit, once that happens you have found the draw on the circuit. To make it even easier I have a test lamp with an audible beeper, once the beep gets quite I know I found it without popping my head up and looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would next start at the radio and remove the power plugs, many times aftermarket wiring including alarms etc. are wired in that area. Makes it easier to inspect the wire on the cigar. lighter circuit too.

And how did you determine that particular fuse had parasitic draw in the first place and how much in amperage?

I would next start at the radio and remove the power plugs, many times aftermarket wiring including alarms etc. are wired in that area. Makes it easier to inspect the wire on the cigar. lighter circuit too.

And how did you determine that particular fuse had parasitic draw in the first place and how much in amperage?
I disconnected negative battery cable used a MM to find out i had parasitic draw. Went to fuse block started pulling fuses. Thats how i found it. The draw is about 100 mlamps.

I disconnected negative battery cable used a MM to find out i had parasitic draw. Went to fuse block started pulling fuses. Thats how i found it. The draw is about 100 mlamps.
That sounds like the radio draw issue. There's a thread about it. It can be repaired internally I believe

If you ever get a car where you can't find the parasitic draw ,then get this.
1533505443214.png
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030A10V0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it's an 86 with auto climate control, try unplugging the ground connection on the board fan. If it goes away it's the fan control inside the heater box.

When messing with the stuff on the end or orange wires for current draw, I ALWAYS start with unplugging the cigarette lighter.

Because it's unpainted steel and likes to rust on the inside. Once the hot and ground start to bridge bad things happen.