Painting over body filler...

JoeNational

Uh oh.. Look who got ALKY
How to paint over body filler? This is for another project I'm working on not the National.

I have placed body filler and sanded it down to be level to the touch. I did not place any primar over it as I was going to just shoot some low gloss black on it. However, you can clearly tell where the body filler was placed and where bare metal was once I painted it. How can I have it so it is a seamless transition from good metal and body filler.

I have never done this by mself before so I'm a complete Noob and not trying to win any bike shows but still want it to look good.

This is for a motorcycle tank btw.

Thanks,

Ideally you should put some primer surfacer over it and bring it level using some 320 dry or 400 grit wet. If you do not want to put any primer surfacer down make sure everything is level and feathered out so there is not dry line it should look like the metal fades into the filler.

to get rid of the "halo" you have spray some sealer and then color. but i think your problem from the sound of it is that your filler isn't feather edged.

Primer is actually a filler and helps to reduce the scratches that will bleed through a paint job. Spray primer over the repair and sand with 400 until level and smooth. After the primer spray a coat of sealer, this will prevent the bleed through you are experiencing now and prevent shrinkage of the repair (scratches reappearing) in the future. After the sealer spray the top coat. Hope this helps,

How to paint over body filler? This is for another project I'm working on not the National.

I have placed body filler and sanded it down to be level to the touch. I did not place any primar over it as I was going to just shoot some low gloss black on it. However, you can clearly tell where the body filler was placed and where bare metal was once I painted it. How can I have it so it is a seamless transition from good metal and body filler.

I have never done this by mself before so I'm a complete Noob and not trying to win any bike shows but still want it to look good.

This is for a motorcycle tank btw.

Thanks,

Is this for Chris? Hope it comes out nice whoever it is for!

1st thing Do Not use filler on bear metal (moisture can penetrate filler, causing rust, causing filler to lift)

Here’s the order I use once I have clean metal…..

Epoxy primer
Body filler
Filler primer (G2)
Sealer primer
Base paint

New filler is designed to go over bare metal, not epoxy primer. Epoxy primer is old technology, and is not recommended anymore.