paint clear coat

dognut

Hello to all. Clear coat or not. Getting ready to do a lacquer paint job.Back in the 60s when I was painting cars half of the customs would get clear coated.Both ways polish up nice but the cleared ones were always nicer however after 10 -15 years later half the cleared ones were cracking.Im getting ready to shoot 3 gals of color about 20+ coats (old school custom paint) and stop & polish or continue & shoot a couple of gallons of clear.PLEASE no comments on why I am not using catalyzed urethane.The shine just isn't the same.Thanks, tom

OK,let me rephrase that. on an old school lacquer paint job thats been color sanded, machine & hand polished the shine is a mile deep.I have seen properly done base/clear catalyzed urethane paint jobs & when the 2 cars are parked together at a car show the lacquer painted has that deep,solid,wow look.For a show car thats parked in the shade & driven once in a while the paint doesn't need to be bullet proof like cat urethane. not to add this after my first post but the material is 1/4 the cost,repairs easy,if I sneeze or a ball of sweat rolls off my nose while im leaning over the hood I can stop,catch my breath scuff the damage with sand paper & continue on like it never happended.Again please don't think I am criticizing cat/urethane paints. I have used house of kolor paints & when done they look great but theres something about a lacquer finish.It might be because I grew up with this type of finish.