P trim, how much power have YOU seen

Superskwrl

Just wondering what everyone has SEEN/made with a single P trim turbo, eitherr dyno power or trap speed/weight

please mention as much of the combo as possible

(please dont mention supra's, 2000lb mazda's with rotary motors etc, or anything that is ultra efficient unlike a pushrod motor)

Thanks

Good question.. I have looked around the boards and it looks like 128-130 mph is the limit in a car that weighs in over 3550. I have a PT70 p-trim and all I can get out of it is 128 mph with a non lock up convertor. I am seeing the boost start out around 28psi spiking to 30 in first then as the rpms rise the boost falls off to around 25-26 and flutters like the wastegate is being blown open. I am going to measure the back pressure next time I go to the track to see what the ratio is.. I think if you want to make more that say 550-600 hp start looking at a Q trim.

I think the P trim exhaust pressure gets too high to flow anything more, compared to a Q trim. Now if you had a lock up and kept the rpms down below 5200-5500, you could probably go faster. Take a look at the other post on Boost vs Backpressure. Good reading.

I would think a 1-1 ratio would yield a larger amount of HP compared to a 1-3 ratio given you could still spool it.

134 mph very mild ported stock head 27 psi:) gtq trim 131 mpg 27 psi no other changes

Originally posted by norbs
134 mph very mild ported stock head 27 psi:) gtq trim 131 mpg 27 psi no other changes

Key there is gtq.. not a p trim

I believe he is saying he went 134 mph with a P trim

and he actually went slower (131mph) with the Q trim.

Red's on here went 133 with a P trim LT70 with a Garret turbine housing and a 9x11 lock up.
Generally speaking, the lock up convertors will go a few mph faster so that could be part of the secret there.

133.5 with a 67 p trim. I have a Vigilante single disk "0" pump lockup but do not lock it at the track.

Originally posted by Scott Atk
133.5 with a 67 p trim. I have a Vigilante single disk "0" pump lockup but do not lock it at the track.

Hey Scott,

What is your race weight with driver???

I keep getting that question. I need to get off my arse and get it weighed. It should be fairly light, I've done all the easy stuff like AC, PS delete. Front sway bar. Glass bumpers. Carpet underlayment. etc. But I added a 6 pt. mild steel bar. It was 3550 without me when I got it, and I'm 235. So, until I put it on the scales its anybodys guess.

72 p trim 3 bolt.............125 mph 11.0 500 hp to the wheels on a stock tta shot block gasket matched heads stock valves 206/206 flat tappet cam

What about the A/R of the turbine housing? That seems important to the equation. Wouldn't going up in A/R be almost the same as stepping up from a P to a Q??

So what is the power difference between your standard P trim turbine wheel vs your standard Q trim wheel? (GT Wheels being exempt) For example lets say I have a T-66 P trim 3 bolt turbo with a .85 turbine housing running any were between 20-24 LBS of boost what would be the power difference? ROUGHLY......Then there are some who say that Q trim is for EFFECTIVE with a 74 or larger turbos?:confused: Running a 3.5 inch downpipe :confused: :confused:

Well PTE has no info on the same turbo with two different turbine wheels. I think all Q-trims are GT wheels. You are looking at a slightly higher RPM range the power will be in, and a small HP increase. Not much difference for the average drag racer, but everything helps in the TSM class. Ask yourself if this is worth the extra $350, I think not for the average Joe.

Just for some info...........

The q trim flows 11% more air then the p trim and the gtq trim flows more than q trim or p trim. The q trim spools worse then the gtq trim though. On a stock block with 231 ci you will not need the extra flow of the gtq or q, unless the heads are fully ported gn's. If you are using stock or even mild ported irons your waisting your money, on the q or gtq:eek:

Just for some info...........

The q trim flows 11% more air then the p trim and the gtq trim flows more than q trim or p trim. The q trim spools worse then the gtq trim though.

Norbs thats some good info, i hadn't heard before

On a stock block with 231 ci you will not need the extra flow of the gtq or q, unless the heads are fully ported gn's. If you are using stock or even mild ported irons your waisting your money, on the q or gtq:eek:

I'm wondering if i have reached the limit of the p trim in my 302ci mustang making just over 500rwhp?

here's some other threads relating to the same topic,any thoughts on the info in them?

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31725

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31526

Thanks guys