Overdrive HP capablities w/3 stock frictions

atomic 6

Wait !,I know this one...
Just like it asks,

What is the limit of TQ/HP? When will I get close to burning it up in overdrive?

This Question pertains to my LT-1 383 powered Rx-7 with the 200 4r. It is 3150 lbs w/driver

As of the last time as the track I trapped 123.6 MPH.(450 hp at the wheels?)On that run i was running a small amount of nitrous(125 shot) not shifting to O.D. I stayed in third because the trans was a stock Monte SS and I was worried about the Overdrive. I was hitting 7k rpm at about 1200 ft so i think shifting to overdrive will help me some.

Now it is being rebuilt with three stock type frictions in the overdrive (this is the way my G.N. was done)

Also do I need to remove some of the springs in the direct clutch spring retainer?(these are for piston return?)

Thanks in Advance.

Dunno on the HP level but I would use 3 or 4 alto reds in that pack...
I would guess 600-700 HP would be OK, especially at your weight.

Why not gear the car to run in the first 3 gears....

3 is enough

I have 2. My son has 2. MY friend has 1. All these trans have 3 Alto Red Eagles with stock steels. Good pump with aroung 260 psi line pressure @ max. tv cable. 500-650 HP and I have yet to see any wear on the overdrive clutches an rebuild. Actually we use them again.

thanks for the input

Jakeshoe,
The only problem with the RX-7 conversion is that it is very hard to change the rearend to something else,which is what you would have to do if you wanted any thing but the stock 4.10 or the stock 3.90(not as strong)

If you guys are not having a holding problem with the red altos in the G.N.s,then I think the raybestos should hold my 3150lbs to mid 10s (hopefully will be lighter by Sat.)

We will find out Sat.

we have a 4 pack for cars at the 4000lb level.it is also advisable to drill 1/8"holes in the steels to reduce clutch drag in the first 3 gears during which the frictions are dragged along with the spinning overdrive drum.:eek: this reduces power,increases friction etc.i have found that 3 plain paper frictions with kolene steels work well up to 600 horsepower and 3400 lbs.the job of the frictions is to stop the overdrive drum and sun gear ,which allows the o/d carrier to be driven at input speed and in turn overdive the input ring gear at a ratio of .67:1.the held divided by the driven minus one. the drum is very light and input torque at the road speed a 3/4 shift happens is not being multiplied by the convertor as we approach high levels of convertor efficiency therefore redcing the load absorbed and put into motion via the sun gears grounding by the friction plates:eek: